PDA

View Full Version : A wee question !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paulsa67
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 05:31 PM
Would it be ok to put an airstone in with my Dscus ?????

mcloughlin2
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 11:10 PM
Yes....as long as it isnt too strong...the discus should be able to swim near it with out being blown away.... :wink:

Sam....

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 07:58 AM
I use airstones on all my tanks. If you remember that warmer water holds less oxygen, it makes sense to have an airstone or something similar to encourage movement of the water and increased oxygen uptake at the surface.

Woll
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 09:50 AM
One of my discus actually sits in the air bubbles and lets them flow all over him... Silly fishie

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 09:58 AM
Hahaha Woll, I've got one that does that too.

Woll
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 10:03 AM
must be like a little fish spa bath... lol

otto
Fri Sep 30, 2005, 09:49 PM
i find airstones no good for a planted tank, as they tend to strip CO2 out of
the water.

rytis
Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:14 AM
yep, no airstones in my planted tanks either.... plants do the thing.... i think it makes me get away w less water changes too...but u gota be somewhat pro for that...

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:39 PM
Agreed. It's quite a balancing act to keep the plants thriving, and the fish happy.

I take my hat off to those who have happy healthy fish, and a gorgeous planted tank with thriving plants. I't takes a lot of work.

Benny
Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:04 PM
What puzzles me though, is that you need a minimum nitrate level of 10ppm with phosphates at 1 (from what i remember reading) and we know that 10ppm nitrate is already bordering on the maximum that any serious discus keeper will keep their water at....

I am starting to think discus arent really suited to a planted tank if u r looking for the ultimate health of ur fish...