PDA

View Full Version : Relocation question.

Fro
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 01:03 AM
I recently relocated my 6ft tank, set up a small tank in my new house, cycled it taking the usual few weeks before ammonia and nitrite levels got to 0, moved the discus at the end of last week with no dramas, Saturday emptied the 6ft and moved it.

My Question is, after only a day or 2 in the new location and with a few "cycling" fish in there, my ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels appear at 0 already. Is this possible or likely?

I kept the canister filter full from the old location, kept the gravel wet and kept some water from the old setup. even so I would have expected it to still take some time to cycle the tank in the new spot.

any advice apprecited as I dont want to put the Discus in there yet if the water parameters arent right for obvious reasons.

OscarManAlpha
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 06:26 AM
Not so much advise, but I take it you filled the tank with dechlorinated water. If so you would have had alot of bio life still present in the system.

How long was the tank empty for and the filters turned off ?

All the new water you added practically 100% would explain the 0 nitate.
Provided it comes out of the tap Nitrate free as mine does.

How long was the tank empty for and the filters turned off ? I would like to know as I am planning a move and just want to get an idea of how long my biolife can survive. I read somewhere once upto 6 hours is ok.

Fro
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 09:05 AM
Would have been an hour at the most, yep, aged and dechlorinated water.

Maybe its ok, the fish I have in there to cycle the tanks are all happy and eating , no signs of stress.

sammigold
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 11:20 AM
When we moved about 8 months ago we had to move our 3ft and what we did was fill up big 20litre plastic containers with 2/3 of the tank water and took it with us to the new place.. we left water enough to just cover the gravel.... It was the last thing we moved and the very first thing we set up once we arrived at new house... and we just treated it like a water change and put the fish straight back in.... they were fine.... We have moved these fish twice in the last 4 years in the same way and both times they were fine and our water parameters were fine... (this tank does not have discus in it) I suppose it depends on how far you are moving... we did not have to go far... :)