PDA

View Full Version : deformed fry

Crocky
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 07:25 AM
Hi all

I have a lot of fry which are going on 2 weeks and today looking at them I noticed 1/2 are deformed eg.fins ( top only), gills,body shape ( large stomach as if bloated and swimming problem which I notice last week.They may only have one or the other problem none seem to have all the problems.
These are some of the thing it could be

1 the parents are brother and sister

2 I put formilahyde in the water to stop all the going bad.
( All the eggs went white after 40 hours fungus I think in the last spawn and I was going to try m/blue on them this time but all I had was formilahyde in the cupbourd so I looked on simplediscus as I remember a post about treating fungus with it so I gave it a try as these eggs looked like they going go white like the last.Within 4 hours the good when dark as you could see a tail ? and other went white and later that afternoon the parent seem to month the egg open and moved the wrigglers.

3 water changes with water out of the tap with tri-start that removed chlorine ect which was the same temp as the tank.

4 uv been put in the tank when a week old (dont think much of them just take up powerpoint spots)

Thanks for any input.

Brad.c

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 03:11 PM
Brad, I'm wondering how many times that line has been bred brother to sister. You could just be seeing genetic problems because of the brother/sister breeding.

Next time I'd split the pair, and put them with a totally unrelated partner, and see if there is a big difference in the fry.

I haven't personally used anything other than methylene blue on the odd occasion, for fungus. How soon after the eggs were laid, did you add the formeldihide. If it was soon after the spawning, the membrane covering the egg may not have closed off properly, and the eggs may have absorbed some of the chemical.

I guess the only way you'll find out, is to do a test mating.

Crocky
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 06:48 AM
Hi Merrilyn

I treated the eggs 40 hours old.

Brad

Ben
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 01:56 PM
Hi Brad,
sounds genetic, but too be honest i am not sure about any bad side affects on very young discus with formalin, so it could be that...?
have this pair bred before?

I will give you a buzz this tuesday nite after 7pm,
Cheers,
Ben

discusjim
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 01:29 AM
Hey brad,
That is no good mate. I don't think it would be the parents, i heard about people inbreeding till F7 with no problems. But it could be?!? How many of the fry are deformed . What is the temp. of your tanks, your egg hatch really early. But i heard before that that happens with snake skins. I got some nice fishies mate! Show you one saterday, good luck
Jim

wyldchyld01
Tue Oct 04, 2005, 12:20 PM
can i ask,

after reading ben's post i too thought you initially used formulin brad but you have posted formalidyde (sic). Hope it's not the latter as i think this is used to store sample specimens so there is no tissue degredation (snake in bottle).

formulin yeah ok if it must be more for internal stuff i thought, but i use meth blue on all my eggs, angels, corys etc. would try this in the future if its still going to be available

Brenton

Benny
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 10:39 AM
formaldehyde is the same stuff as formalin...

According to my reliable sources 8-) 8-) 8-) :blob :blob2 :booty :mrgreen:

wyldchyld01
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 06:18 AM
Benny should have known you before, had heaps of formaldehyde lying around for ages and have kept buying formalin (thought it was a diff chem makeup). see that's why it's good to be part of a forum so you can draw on others knowledge

B

Crocky
Sun Nov 06, 2005, 04:30 AM
Hey Wyldchydo1

My understanding is formalin liquid form is 37 or 40 % formaldehyde liquid gas mix with (?) makes it formalin.Make sure you mix it with a bit of water before addng to your tank and a little at a time and away from your fish,just trust me it will kill your discus if it swim into in 10 second thinking its getting feed.

Brad.

nicholas76
Tue Nov 15, 2005, 04:35 AM
i know gill plate and other bone related "issues" can be caused / influenced greatly by diet ( lack of minerals )

e.g lack of calcium for example

but it does sound like formilahyde is the issue

Crocky
Tue Nov 15, 2005, 05:20 AM
Hi Nick

these fish have spawned twice since then only got 12 good ,6 no good and the next time only eight wrigglers which there one left and there looking after it.I'm thinking its more becuase there brother/sister but you could be right ,i will give them another few go's as there my favorite pair and there fry have lost there bar already and will be like dad solid blue ss.

Brad