PDA

View Full Version : White eggs

DR.V
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 04:30 AM
Hi all, just wondering, how can you tell when you have :

1. fertilised egg but overcome with fungus

2. unfertilised eggs

I think unfertilised eggs will turn white right away after 24 hours ? And fertilised egg but overcome with fungus will turn white after 48 hours ?

Also what causes fungus on eggs ??

Yes, I've been reading everywhere and know meth blue is the solution to prevent fungus.

Any ideas and thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks

DR.V
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 07:58 AM
When the fertilised eggs overcome with fungus will the whole batch effected ? Or just some of them ??

Thanks

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 03:01 PM
Good question, I don't really know the answer.

Some of my pairs rarely have fungus on their eggs. Good parents will mouth the eggs frequently and keep them clean and free from debris which can settle on the surface of the eggs.

Other pairs never seem to mouth the eggs at all, but will pick off the unfertilised ones, which helps to keep the others free of fungus.

I've had other pairs that just don't seem to know what to do, and then one day, out of the mound of fungus, emerges a few fry. Probably a small dose of methylene blue just after the eggs have been laid would help to prevent fungus, but I've honestly never used it.

I think lots of waterchanges, and a UV unit on the tank will go a long way to prevent fungus.

DR.V
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info Merrilyn.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 08:19 PM
Because my pairs are so young most of the eggs they are laying right now are unfertilised. I have a UV on the system and the parents seem to look after them well but invariably they still have fur on them after 24-48 hours. The pair I have that are fertilising don't seem to look after them so well but they never have fungus on them, there again they've eaten the last 3 batches within 48-72 hours anyway but they seem to be clean. It looks like infertile eggs attract fungus far more than fertile ones to me and it was the same with Angels when I was breeding them.
MAC

nag
Tue Oct 25, 2005, 08:42 AM
I'm in this too deep...

It's been quite sometime since my two pairs are laying eggs...

Starting the second day onwards, the whitening and fungus growth happens...I've tried all the times M.Blue...but it seems they don't have any efffect...

Well, when the eggs are laid, I stillkeep doing a 50% WCs twice in a day...
May be I should stop WCs totally and see...

Dear Andrews, can you pls throw some light?...
Thanks,

Ben
Tue Oct 25, 2005, 08:48 AM
Whats your GH and KH?

this could be the key.

either that or you need pro-more!

cheers,
Ben

nag
Tue Oct 25, 2005, 04:35 PM
Hi Ben:

How does GH and KH affect the whitening of the eggs...
Pls explain...
Regards,

Ben
Sun Oct 30, 2005, 10:01 AM
Hi Nag,
If there is a high gh or kh this will prevent the eggs fertilising and/or the eggs to develop and hatch.

cheers
Ben