PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Know When Cured?

imatrout
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 02:28 AM
I got 8 new discus last Saturday for my 150 planted tank. The fish were shipped to me very well packaged and cared for. I do not have a quarantine tank so I slowly acclimated them into the tank. They looked good at first, but by Sunday evening they were hiding behind some plants and starting to look dull. On Monday after receiving some advice, I did a 30% WC and added Fungus Clear to cure "shipping fever". I also added Salt and Quick Cure 12 hours later and again evry 24 hours for 4 days. The water has been kept at 88.5 degrees all week.

By Wednesday, the fish perked up and started eating and have improved evry day to the point they began cruising the tank (all but one) and all eating very well. Their color is virtually better than when they arrived stressed.

Today, Saturday, I did a 30% WC and dosed Melafix to help get them back in shape.

My question is: How do I know when they are completely cured? Should I do another dose of Fungus Clear as an insurance policy? Can I add the Fungus Clear with the Melafix?

They really seem to be doing well. I have one that is a little behind the other 7, but he is eating and color almost up to par with the others.

Thanks for the help!

blackwater spa
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 03:01 AM
I believe all medications have their side effects. Perhaps your discus were sick or perhaps they were just taking their time to get used to a completely new environment. Maybe the medications helped, or maybe they didn't, but the water changes probably helped just as much if not more. It sounds like your discus are now quite healthy so there's really no need to add more medications.

But I'd keep up with the water changes.

One of the best ways to get new discus to settle happily into a new home is to take photos of them and their tank and then post these pictures publicly on this forum. Then when everyone here tells them how pretty they look in their new home, they will lose that shy streak very quickly and in no time at all they will be brimming with confidence!

Good luck!

DR.V
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 04:37 AM
Hi , I think you can tell when a discus is healthy when they show their colours fully.

Also when someone approach the tank, they should come up and swim towards you food looking for food.

Healthy fish should show that they always hungry, asking for more food even though they just been fed.

When adding new fish, it takes some time , normally about 1-2 weeks for the fish to adapt to their new home.

Adapting means, hiding behind driftwood, not eating well , and not showing their full colours.

During this time do go will all the medication. Just keep with the regular water changes.

Good luck

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 05:24 AM
Welcome to the forum imatrout, glad to have you join us.

Now, after nearly thirty years with discus, I'm a great believer in taking the simple approach first.

Daily water changes and a little salt in the water can usually help with most problems. If there is no improvement within 7 days then it's time to resort to stronger medications. In your case, I do think the main problem was due to settling in and stress from shipping.

Just a word of advice, never combine medications with out advice from a qualified vet. Whilst each medication may be excellent on it's own, when combined with another medication, the results can be totally different.

imatrout
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 02:43 AM
Thank you all for the advice. The fish are looking great so I think I'll lay off the meds.

Thansk again!