PDA

View Full Version : breeding questions

skoom
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 03:17 PM
Dear all,

Due to non-stop spawning action in the community tank, I have a few questions to ask.

Two females (red rose and red+white) have laid eggs in the tank, on the same piece of driftwood. Usually only one of the males (ocean green) gives action. He has formed a steady relationship with red rose, but occasionally hangs out with red+white. Is it possible for him to have fertilised both set of eggs? I missed out on the spawning action tonight, and came home to over 200 eggs. The OG seems to be guarding the eggs of the red+white...how strange.

Aside, when the eggs turn bad (white), is it due to:

1) unfertilised eggs (with no potential) thus affected by fungus; or

2) fertilised egg with full potential but overcome with fungus.

just to gather a deeper understanding of cause and effect.

Finally, what is the best way to prevent eggs becoming affected by fungus?
I have read in this forum the use of ?malachite green, which affects the parents slime. What about pimafix? Also heard of adverse reaction with it and discus, but i have used it at half doses without side effects. (i do notice the label of the bottle has a nice picture of a discus on it)

Thanks in advance.

skoom

Ben
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Skoom,

Looks like your male is a swinger! :shock:
It is possible for him to match up with either females when they are spawning.

1) unfertilised eggs (with no potential) thus affected by fungus; or

2) fertilised egg with full potential but overcome with fungus.

You are right on both accounts. Meth blue is a better safe gaurd against fertilized eggs going fungus, but it can affect the slime coating on the discus. (i am yet to see negative results though) I use meth blue at a dose rate of 1 ml per 15 litres of water.

HTH

Ben

skoom
Sat Sep 24, 2005, 12:21 PM
thanks for the dosages Ben. Without any pre-treatment I find about half the eggs become affected. Should treatment begin before the eggs are laid/during spawning/or after they have been fertilised? Many thanks.

Update:

Out the two spawns the Red Rose's eggs have all turned white. I guess the male didn't visit hers ...

tank
Sat Sep 24, 2005, 02:01 PM
I have been told to add meth blue about 1 hour after laying eggs
also low ph can help

mistakes r crucial
Sun Sep 25, 2005, 08:25 PM
You can also use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to stop fungus, it actually kills the fungus whereas Meth Blue merely blocks the light waves that gives the fungus the ability to grow. However, you do have to dose every 12 hours and not just the once as you do with meth blue. It increases oxygen in the water also so another benefit.
MAC

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 04:55 AM
Thanks for that tip MAC.

Can you provide us with a dose rate?