PDA

View Full Version : Fins Sticking? & General Preventative Treatment

oscar
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 08:36 PM
Hi all,

I recently went out of town for work for a bit over a week and returned to be having a bad tank day.

During this time my two tanks had no water change as it's not something that my wife is prepared to do.

Anyhow the second i came back i did a 30% W/C on both tanks as they were both looking very average, quite possibly linked to the new driftwood in each about 3 weeks ago. (I'll be doing about 60+% W/C on each over the next to days just to 'freshen-up'.

Later observation of the two tanks and i have noticed that the discus are periodically only using one pectoral fin with the other sitting on the body whilst swimming. This never happens for long but i'm paranoid because the tanks went for that period of time without W/C. So, is this normal or do i have a problem?

My Red Turq in one tank hasn't been eating, well at least that i've seen, since i came back on Tuesday afternoon and is hiding a bit so i think it's either stressed or ill, but is showing no real symptoms of any sort.

The other tank has had an outburst of whitespot, but i'm prepared to accept this as they'd only been here for a shade over a week (from SLS) and this is what the last lot from SLS did also. I presume linked to the travelling.

On a similar topic, can anyone please advise a good system/course of preventative treatments that i can carry out on both tanks to put my mind at ease that my fish are clean as a whistle. I'd be wanting to dose against any worms, fluke, and other poential nasties.

Thanks.

Andrew Soh
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 12:14 PM
:D HI Oscar,

Since you have done WC and the discus still not fully revert to normal and they are in planted tanks, try using the proprietory brand, chelated Copper sulfate (from LFS) for long bath...

It might affect the plants...so taking the plants to another container should be good. The treatment should not affect the biologivcal filtration system.

Take care,
Andrew :angel

oscar
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks Andrew.

By the way, I was one of the recipients of your book that Ben got whilst he was visiting a little while ago. Very informative, thanks.

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:21 AM
Always lovely to hear from you Andrew. Thanks for the advice.