PDA

View Full Version : Sponge vs Canister, What is the best for discus?

aquafrogstuff
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 02:04 PM
I get so many different opinions on this. I currently have an internal sponge filter. It seems to do a good job. But I'm a simple guy applying simple logic and to me, the multi layered filtration in a cannister surely must produce better return water quality than the simple powerhead with sponge???

What's your experience??

DR.V
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 03:06 PM
I think if you do w/c everyday , a sponge filter will do. Plus its cheaper and its best for breeding tank.

But if you got planted tank, Im sure cannister will do a better job.

kalebjarrod
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 09:00 PM
canister for display and grow out tanks

sponge for breeding tanks

sponge tanks just require more frequent water changes :wink:

wyldchyld01
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:46 AM
Going to throw my hand in the other direction. i use sponge filters because i change water often, a canister will allow you to change less less often (if that make sense) don't think you need to add one because of plants (sorry DR V may have misinterpreted your sentence).

A planted tank will aid with filtration (plants need food too) so again it comes back to how often do you want to change water.

One of the newer internal uv units (like Ben reveiewed in equipment) may also help reduction of water changes and to a certain degree lessen your filtration requirements.

I have a four foot tank (heavily planted) next to me, one canister inline, changed 3 times in the last 2 years but adding little bits of water every second day due to evap (german style planted tank). i'm not kidding, and the angels in it have bred constantly.
but sponges on my discus tanks and 1/3 water changed every day, in reality if you could continually pump in fresh water all day you wouldn't need filtration and of course the bigger the tank (same amount of fish) the less you need to filter also.

B

Ben
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 12:05 PM
No matter what sort of filtration, water changes are the key!
You could opt for both??

Ben

Cuong
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 12:23 PM
don't think you need to add one because of plants (sorry DR V may have misinterpreted your sentence).

A planted tank will aid with filtration (plants need food too) so again it comes back to how often do you want to change water.

wyldchyld01, I think he meant they were better for fully planted tanks as you want to reduce O2 levels (which comes with an air driven sponge filter) to equilibrate higher CO2 levels for the plants. Plus there's more room for more plants with a cannister! :)

DR.V
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 12:41 PM
Yes I meant a fully planted tank ... Like full of plants ^^

Like Ben said, doesnt matter which filtration you choose, w/c is still required.

aquafrogstuff
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks all.

nicholas76
Sat Sep 24, 2005, 11:46 AM
Several main diffrences for me some of the positives of both.

cannister " polishes " the tank water and is superior in terms of bio load then a small sponge. More forgiving if your slack on the water changes and you get heaps of water movement so your tank heats up quicker. ( less stress on the heater )

I like the fact that i can medicate a tank quicker and can apply carbon filters if i want with a cannister

sponges are cheap and easy to run however. You dont have to worry about a pipe bursting and its a "still environment" discus prefer that!.