PDA

View Full Version : problem watching discus

rytis
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 01:25 AM
this may seem like a stupid question. it took me a while to realise what's wrong, but somehow something didnt seem to look right as i kept watching my tank lately and i couldnt figure out what it was exactly, now it hit me: the discus instead of acting naturaly swimming around, they always face me and therefor i cant enjoy their full beauty, coz its like these faces all i see looking at me instead of them naturaly going back and forth....

any ideas on how this can be fixed? oh, and i do feed them a lot, but they just dont stop looking at me any time i am near, and also i realise they see me better then i think.... even if im in a dark room and their lights are on...

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 03:46 AM
Discus really are very intelligent fish, and are interested in everything going on in their room

Even to the point where my fish know which food I am going to feed them. If I walk over to the cupboard where their dry food is stored, they lazily swim to the front of the tank waiting to be fed. But if I go to the freezer, where their favourite foods are kept, they all rush to the front and their joy knows no bounds.

Dumb fish??? Definately not these discus. :P

wyldchyld01
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 05:36 AM
he he can say the same,

with my angels they sit looking at my desk (sits next to me here) and if i look back they think they are going to get fed lol (usually do).

my discus do the same, when i come into the room they stop whatever they were doing and look at me, even if i just sit there quietly trying to observe, they don't do anything but look back, gotta love em

it's why it gets my goat that people still think fish don't feel, or have short term memory, even trained memory is something

Brenton

blackwater spa
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 08:41 AM
You need to wait until it's dark and then sneak into the fish room. Keep the room lights turned off but switch on the fish tank's lights. You can then stay in the shadows and spy on your fish and if you are careful they might not even realize you are there.

Woll
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 11:16 AM
My discus will all swim up to the tank when you walk in, but they get bored after a while and get back to what they were doing. This may be because they get fed at certain times and my know the routine.

paulsa67
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 03:26 PM
wyldchyld01 what type of Discus is your avator ????

Or if any1 else know`s that whould be great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

wyldchyld01
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:49 AM
answered on your thread paulsa67, a male red turq, sadly no longer with us

Brenton