PDA

View Full Version : maybe a silly question...

TeeFM
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 01:20 AM
Just wondering if discus can recognise human face and know who I am. What is everyone's thought?

mcloughlin2
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 05:19 AM
I reckon they can.... :D ....seem to noe im the one to be nice to or they wont get food..LOL..

kalebjarrod
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 05:24 AM
They will certainly tell the difference between the hand that feeds them

they will alos eat eggs if they don't know the person around the tank, although this might be more to do with the speed of actions and voice tone more so than facial features :wink:

DR.V
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 05:43 AM
I think they can and they always hoping every human going to feed them :P

Since if anyone stand closer to my tank, they will just come forward waiting for food.

TeeFM
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 07:19 AM
The reason I am asking is because my discus are still very shy and always hiding (I must say I only had them for TWO days), maybe I should stand in front of the tank looking at them more often....so eventually they'll know I am a NICE guy. :D

Seriously, how long will it take for them to become more active and come out to the front part of the tank for me to look at? It's a pitty to have such a pretty fish always hiding behind my driftwood..... :(

DR.V
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 07:51 AM
That is normal for new fish.

It takes some time for them to get used to with new home.

Im sure they will come out looking for food when they're hungry. It normally takes about 1-2 weeks.

Be patient. ^^ Looking forward for some pictures

Mattzilla
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 09:59 AM
yeah that is normal for new fishes...

i reckon they definately get to know faces...or like ryan said, the manneroisms, movements etc of their owners.
i could just about do a cartwheel in fornt of my tank and they wouldn't care....but bring a strange person to the tank they become timid and shy

takes more than a few days for them to become comfortable though...give them time

try feeding them a little each time you come to the tank. that way they associate you with food as apposed to a threat. just be careful not to over feed them that's all