PDA

View Full Version : Wild in japan

anti-generic
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:36 PM
I found these pic on the Oliver knott site.
I hope he will forgive me for stealing the photos but i just have to share this around.

Major drool material. :shock:

OscarManAlpha
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:42 PM
Live mid-market rates as of 2005.09.19 12:40:28 UTC.
135,000.00 JPY
Japan Yen = 1,585.15 AUD
Australia Dollars

And major cost if this convertion is correct.

OscarManAlpha
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:51 PM
When I was in Japan in 2000 a lot of pet\aquarium stores did not stock Discus. I got a friend of mine to ask the store sales person on one occasion. He said the customers are very picky and that he did not want to be stuck with the stock !!

I went to one store near Ginza ( Tokyo ) and it was amazing. They have less restrictions on the fish they can import and a huge customer base due to the massive population.

Should see the thickness of the glass they use for the tanks ( looks bullet proof ) they have to due to all the earth tremers they have. Things must weigh a ton and cost a fortune to boot !!!

DR.V
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:54 PM
YESS I cant believe my eyes seeing those prices !!!

nicholas76
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 01:32 PM
woooow

awsum fish , pays to breed discus over there?

nice fish regardless

noticed that tank had several cannisters working on it and it dosent seem to bother them, i wonder how they deal with that strong current

OscarManAlpha
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hmm Heckel discus.
The more I look at those pics the more I start to think about which body parts I would exchange for them :lol: specialy the blue one on the bottom right of the tank. And the one in the center.

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 02:12 PM
I'm with you OscarManAlpha. lol

Those wild caught heckels and browns would look good in my tanks. :wink:

kevkoi
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 02:30 PM
Oh, someone beat me to this.....

On early next month's shipment of fish, we will be getting a shipment of wild discus!! Fish prices will be far more reasonable (as compared to Japan! LOL).

Will have a tank looking pretty close to the one pictured above at SLS!!

Blue face heckels (Heckel Discus " Blue Barcelos ") 6"
Alenquer Brown "Santerem" - 6"
Tefe Red spotted green "small spot" - 6"

.... unfortunately Curipera reds are just way out of my price league. They can be gotten, but on "pre-order" only.

OscarManAlpha
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 02:39 PM
Kev can I pay in body parts ?

My credit card is maxed out :(

I just want two Heckel Discus " Blue Barcelos "
and one hundred Rummy Nose for a small project.

And ten L168's

I don't want anybody to be a dream stealer !!

OscarManAlpha
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 02:44 PM
Let's start with a finger for the photo's your choice as to which one.

dreamer
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 09:37 PM
everything is expensive in japan unfortunately so the price comparison may not be relevant. and most of the high quality fish are exported there, unlike those wilds we have here ...

kevkoi
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 12:37 AM
The wilds pictured are not any higher quality than we can get.

dreamer
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 01:23 AM
but definitely better than what i have seen

nicholas76
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 05:55 AM
over seas quality is soo much better than australian.

its all about the dollar!

Kaiser
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 06:11 AM
I agree with dreamer. I dont think price comparision is fair since the salary in Japan is also much higher than here. Just like everything is cheap in China compare to Aus.

Davo
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 09:47 AM
Kev,

Do you have a rough guide to the price of the wild's and do you have any pictures of these strains?

Dave.

OscarManAlpha
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 11:21 AM
I think we have an anomaly here in Australia at the moment. And I hope that it will continue for a long time to come.

I don't now Kev other than having had him serve me at SLS sometime a go. ( and reading his posts on this forum )
I bought some Cherry Barbs on that occasion only 6 of them I wanted to try and spawn them so I asked for 3 males and 3 females which is exactly what I got. He discussed with me how I intended to breed them and he showed great interest in the fish in general. And he had plenty to get on with that day !!

When I say anomaly I mean it. Kev has contacts with the fish farms and he inspects the fish before they leave the farms. I'm sure if he interacts with the guys over there, like he does with some random who walks into SLS asking to buy 6 Cherry Barbs they have a great deal of respect for him.

As I stated before in a previous post on this page we don't have the population in Australia ( lower customer base ). From what Ive been told, we wouldn't be able to print an Aquatic magazine as we dont have the readership to make it a proposition.

SLS doesn't only import fish for themselves either so if you do or dont live in Sydney your local may even have some fish selected by Kev.

Anyhow I don't think Kev needs any defense and i'm sure he has a pretty thick skin when it comes to comments like those made in some of the previous posts just above this one.
But just think about the fact that he knows the market here and overseas retail and wholesale.

So when he says
“ The wilds pictured are not any higher quality than we can get. “I believe him and he also says
...”unfortunately Curipera reds are just way out of my price league. They can be gotten, but on "pre-order" only. “

I think Ive said enough.........

And Kev thanks for making it possible for us to get fish over here as good as anywhere in the world.

Proteus
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks OMA,

From the position I come from, we have a truly unique situation in regards to the fish we get.

They are mostly, if not always hand selected by Kev prior to being shipped to Australia.

Naturally fish are a living animal, so things can never be a definite, but I can gaurantee you, you will not find better quality stock in Australia that has been imported. Other importers rely on the word of the breeder, Kev relies on his own eyes, and knowledge of the hobby.