PDA

View Full Version : USING KN03???

pitchblack
Sun Sep 18, 2005, 03:09 PM
hey all ive recently aquired a batch of kn03. Im trying to raise my nitrate's for the first time to 10ppm. Ive been dosing the tank twice a day at the rate of 1/4 teaspoon. my tank is 330ltrs. At thise stage there is no rise when ive tested the water again after a few hours when i added the kn03. What i would like to know is if anything would be stopping the nitrates from rising and secondly what was other peoples experience when first attempting this process.

Thanks for you input!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

anti-generic
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 05:17 AM
Do you have very high filtration? Biomedia can remove alot of nitrates
Do you have a alot of plants and do you dose other trace elements or ferts?
From a article on thekrib.com
"Incidentally, measuring the nitrate level is helpful for general tweaking; if adding nutrient X causes the nitrate level to drop, then the tank is probably deficient in X."

In your case i'm guessing maybe you have ample trace elements and the KNO3 is getting absorbed very quickly??? Maybe????

Regards,
Eric

pitchblack
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 11:39 AM
im using a fluval 404 filter. My tank is 330 ltrs. I add 6mls of seashem flourish and also dose with liquid fertilizer that brings the iron up... But yeah no rise as yet.... Ill check out the article

Shawnts106
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 12:15 AM
I am having a BGA problem in my tank.... not bad anymore but still is there... I have added some Seachem Trace to help with the plants... also, I have 0ppm Nitrates and everything else, I havent check Phosphates though...

so I was told I did need to have the Trates up to about 10ppm to help with algae and plants and such.. also KNO3 is good to use... SO today I went to LOWES and bought some Stump Remover ( aka: KNO3 ), mine is green light brand... very good from my research

But I have NO idea on how much to add or how to add it...

Please help me with this...

29 Gallon tank... IOW about 109LTRS...
so how much KNO3 do I add to get the Trates up to 5-10ppm.... WITHOUT killing the fish in the process!

Also, My Perimeters today I checked useing a Test Strip...

the results are:

pH = 6.8
Alk or (KH) = about 180ppm ish
GH = 200ppm ISH
Nitrites = 0ppm
Nitrates = unmeasureable
Ammonia = unmeasureable

Temp= 80*F to 82*F or 26*C to 28*C

29 gallons... lots of plants that LOVE LIGHT!... I have two 65watt Current 50/50 ( 6700K and 10,000K ) bulbs on it... plants love the light.. the Ludwiga is really colored up!

Plants include:
Java Moss
Java Fern
Anubias Coffeefollia
Possible Bacopa... has simular leaf shape when bought, now is HUGE , has pointly leafs simular to Ludwiga needle leaf and near the light has turned pinkish...
Foxtail (with BGA on it!)
3 Amazon Swords
2 Rubin Swords( propagated... once was one now is two!:) )
Ludwiga Broadleaf
Ludwiga Palustris RED ( super red plant! beautiful! )
some small plant found at my LFS... Looks to be the ever tiny... Cryptocoryne Parva... heres a picture off Plantgeek.net ... http://www.plantgeek.net/images/plantpics/parva.jpg

and thats it for now... oH yes.. and a Cryptocoryne Wendtii red

Please help with this problem

thanks a bunch!

merman
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 04:21 AM
It becomes a bit of hit and miss affair, I dose KNO3 15- 20 drops everyday in my planted tank which is 240Ltrs. However, 1/4 teasponn twice a day seem quite high to me, check that you don't have a dud test kit!

pitchblack
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 04:23 AM
you have a pm with the details hear from you soon!!!

pitchblack
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 04:31 AM
hey memman you have a pm where did you get you kn03 from???? Brand name ect...