PDA

View Full Version : Eggs... what now

richardbrook01
Sat Sep 17, 2005, 10:48 PM
Hi everyone
Tonight 2 of my 7 discus laid some eggs on a plant leaf, the female is guarding the eggs by just sitting very close and watching the eggs she only moves at feeding time to grab some food and goes back to watching the eggs. The male is in the meantime guarding the female and chasing any fish who comes into the area away
The 2 fish that have the eggs are the largest fish in the tank

Any advice as to what to do next would be very welcome as anyone who has read any of my previous post knows I have only had discus for about 6 months, although I have kept other fish for the past 20+ years

Thanks for your time..

mcloughlin2
Sat Sep 17, 2005, 11:04 PM
Just leave them for now....it will be very unlikely that the eggs will hatch and survive....the parents will probably just eat the eggs...

I would leave them in the community tank for 3 or 4 lots of eggs...then move them in a bare bottom two foot tank....

HTH

Sam....

DR.V
Sun Sep 18, 2005, 04:33 AM
I would suggest the same as Sam, leave them for now. Have a close look at the eggs for the next 2-3 days to see if they are being fertilise.

Once they hatch, other fish or the parents itself will eat them for sure.

Since now you got a breeding pair, why dont you try to put them in a 2ft tank by themselves in a week or two??

Just a suggestion.
Good luck with the pair.