PDA

View Full Version : few questions about discus

rytis
Sat Sep 17, 2005, 09:50 PM
1. is it ok to feed discus choped chicken liver? i boutght it today and they seem to really like it. just want to make sure it'snot harmful to them.

2. if i got them at about 4" long, how long will it take before they start pairing up and breeding?

3. one of 9 that i bought from store, may be stunted, can that one breed or no?

the first 4 i got about 3 months ago are about 6-7" long now......

mcloughlin2
Sat Sep 17, 2005, 11:10 PM
They should be pairing up by now if they are 6-7inch long.....not sure on the chicken liver.....if u wana feed meat best to use beef heart from wat ive heard....just make sure all the fat is cut of.....

Stunted fish can breed but they will never reach full adult size.....

HTH

Sam.....

Stuart
Sun Sep 18, 2005, 12:15 AM
I am by no means an expert but I know some preparations I have bought have included Chicken Livers. The thing I know is to make sure they are totally deviod of the fat that chickens have a lot of.

nicholas76
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 05:50 AM
HI Rytis

you should feed your discus a quality pellet food like tetra bit and or discus premium. also feed frozen blood worm and brime shrimp.

beef heart mix is great but if i were you id stick to those basics for now. beef heart will pollute your planted tank to easy.

pairing up - hit amd miss proposition. only time will tell. you need to ensure the conditions are correct.

stunted fish will breed, but as discus keepers you will generally on breed fish worth breeding.

nath
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 10:28 PM
can discus intestines handle blood worm?

cheers
nath

rytis
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 10:35 PM
yea they eat bloodworms like crazy and also even more chicken liver (cheaper)

marg
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 04:08 AM
Has anyone got any recipes using Chicken Livers? My local Supermarket always has trays of them cheap - if the Discus eat them I wouldn't mind trying them on them.

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 21, 2005, 07:04 AM
I've used chicken liver as part of my beef heart recipe. But I microwave it for a few minutes first to make it a firmer consistancy.

The fish seem to like it.

rytis
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 02:29 AM
Has anyone got any recipes using Chicken Livers? My local Supermarket always has trays of them cheap - if the Discus eat them I wouldn't mind trying them on them.
my dad bought it instead of beefheart i choped it up drained real well of blood in a fishnet and they eat it like crazy i store it in freezer thats the whole menu.

bought beefheart today, same thing accept less water polution, didnt even se the need to rinse, eat almost (not quite) enthusiastically as chicken liver.

my questions are: 1. how big do discus get? how old before they start pairing up? before they start breeding?

nicholas76
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 11:06 AM
Hi rytis

as a budding hobbyist you should invest in a few good discus books.

Andrew Sohs book has all the funadamental topics covered that you have been asking about.

Ben has some of these for sale so pm him for one

in the mean time this web site has some brilliant readings to examine
http://www.dph.nl

regards

nick

mcloughlin2
Mon Sep 26, 2005, 11:05 PM
Check this link out;

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4426

Its all about info on discus pairing with abit on breeding..... :D