PDA

View Full Version : question about discus color

rytis
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 10:08 PM
ibought 4 more discus about a month ago and one was supposed to be orange, one white marble...
they are healthy, happy, eating etc. but i never saw that orange in orange color, it's brown. but it's healthy. butone time while i was tryingto adjust them, i carelessly put it in another tank to protect from more aggressive native discus, and i swear for a few seconds i saw that discus in light orange color, but not since. also, the one in my pic thats white/yelow with red fins, it's small, could it turn to white as it gets older (coz i ordered white, not sure if that's what i got, coz they say they only turn full colors when they mature)
the top middle one (in second photo) i saw as orange for few seconds only, now it's consistently this color. weird, i know.
also, i was wondering if anyone could sex these for me? males/females?

my discus i took photo of yesterday:

endless
Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:34 AM
Its cause the're in a planted aquarium with dark gravel. Put them in a barebottom tank with blue background and they should show better colors

Stuart
Sun Sep 18, 2005, 12:21 AM
Also, I have juvenile discus like yours and I have to tell you it will be a while before you will be able to sex them. :D

mcloughlin2
Sun Sep 18, 2005, 01:51 AM
Wat a mad tank!! luv it!!!

And wtf...u said in another post that the fish were 6-7inches long...u sure u didnt mean cm...???? They look tiny...

Again i luv the tank..

Sometimes discus change their colours to impress other fish or threaten them...i think u have bought the fish under the wrong names....and i dont think the discus with the red fins will turn white...its is called a white marble right??

So that would mean it has all sorts of colours like marble...IMO

HTH

Sam..... :D

rytis
Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:24 AM
thx...
my discus vary greatly in sizes from 2"-6" i just resized them to look the same here...
heres more recent photo of how they look in reality:

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:34 PM
Just love your tank. That little snakeskin in the front is developing a lovely round shape.

All the rest are looking fat and healthy. Not sure if your yellow fish will turn white.

In my experience, white discus start out very white, and don't change colour.

But you've got some lovely colours there, and it makes the tank look interesting.

rytis
Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:44 PM
thx. im surprised you can tell about his shape from this pic. yes, his shape is unique, that particular ones. u must really be an expert in discus...
that little orange one also has extra nice shape/coloration: last one i bought and only for $10 at lfs unlike others mail order...

im so heartbroken coz the yellow w red fins insnt white, coz i realy miss white color, and i really am worried about overcrowding (the less the better rule) got 10 now+3 plecos....

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 10, 2005, 02:56 PM
Ahhh Rytis, I've had discus for around thirty years. Photos don't always show the truth, but in the case of your last photo, it's obvious the little fellow is a lovely shape.

You've chosen well. Your fish are looking lovely.

Benny
Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:00 PM
u must really be an expert in discus...

as far as i know LR is the only keeper in the southern hemisphere of an albino Red Golden Diamond...

Also, she has 30yrs discus keeping experience under her belt, has bred fish (magnificent ones at that) for years, and can diagnose a remedy without seeing a fish.. She is the discus deity!!!

Also, its relatively simple to spot whether a fish has good shape or not ;)
That snakeskin however is a nice looking fish.

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:19 PM
Thankyou for the compliments Benny. That's very kind of you.

But remember, the day someone starts to think they know all there is to know about discus, is the day they'll make a monkey out of you. :monkey

In this game, you never stop learning. :book

Having discus for thirty years, just means I've had time to make more mistakes than most :thumb