PDA

View Full Version : white pimple

Darth_discus
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 09:54 AM
please help i just discovered a white pimple just below the top fin whatever that one is called and i was just asking what it is

the parameters are
ph 6.6
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 30

pleas help i want to know what it is so i can seperate it

should i treat for metro

Benny
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:02 AM
white pimple? dont treat with metro AS yet,

I would observe the fish, in a QT tank... Seeing as the spot is close to the fin, i would watch to see if more appear but would guess it to be whitespot, or ich...

Theres a great article on how to treat it with a thermal and salinity approach (heat and salt)...

I would consider moving the fish, putting the hospital tank temp up, and treating with salt first...

Wait for LR's opinion though

Benny

mcloughlin2
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:03 AM
I think it is white spot....go to google and type in white spot and there should be some pics just so u can make sure it is the same sort of dot u have on ur discus.... :D

HTH

goldenpigeon
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:04 AM
it is a bacteria ball

Darth_discus
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:37 AM
what is the dosage for salt

Benny
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:00 AM
see thread http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218

Darth_discus
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:35 AM
can u use odinary table salt and should i treat the whole tank or just the one fish

Benny
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 11:59 AM
I was told NOT to use table salt, only "aquarium salt" or "rock salt" but again WAIT FOR LR!!!

Hehe,
Im not 100% confident with my advice here, best to sit tight and await a response from one of the gods of discus keeping

Benny

axl
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:30 PM
As Benny said never use table salt only use rock salt or aqarium salt, i agree totally with him

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 01:47 AM
Hi Darth, sorry, I was offline for most of last night.

Tell me more about the pimple. Is is still just one, or have any more appeared. If it's still just the one, it must might be some kind of bacteria or cyst, and nothing too serious.

You can certainly safely use salt in the water, but put the fish in a hospital tank to treat first. Salt will kill your plants, and cause a lot of problems with fish like clown loaches, and other scaleless fish.

The salt to use is plain cooking salt or rock salt, both available from the supermarket. Don't use table salt, as it has something in it to keep it flowing. I think it's mixed with cornflour, but not too sure. Anyway, the cooking salt is cheaper, and just as easy to find.

Any chance of getting a pic?

Darth_discus
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 07:32 AM
yes i will get a pic soon, what i see fascinating is that you can only see the pimple when it is fron on and you can barely even notice it when the fish is side on. The fish that has it is the marlboro in the pics i posted in the photo album under just a few pics( note it doesn't have the pimple). Also there is only one and no others on the discus of this white dot shall i call it.

YES i just found some salt so i will treat tonight with salt. This is the first time i have ever done this tratment thingo and i was wandering should i cover the tank sides and or the lid, also if there is something i have missed like details etc. plz tell me

goldfish
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 07:44 AM
is it true that rock salt will increase the Kh, therefore resulting an increase in pH?

Darth_discus
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 09:05 AM
in the salt i am using (cooking salt) in has an anti-caking agent is this alright