PDA

View Full Version : Thought it was Hexamita

Insomnia
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 11:35 PM
Over the past few months I have lost 3 of my smaller discus to what I thought was hexamita. They each showed the classic symptoms of white poo and not eating. Treatment of 2 of the 3 fish in quarantine with Met over a 2 week period was unsuccessful and both fish eventually succumbed to the disease, probably due to starvation as they would not eat. Finally a 3rd of the smaller fish got sick and I noticed my prized 5" Siam Yellow Master was hiding and no longer eating, this time it was getting serious. At this point, I had no choice but to treat the entire 250 Gal tank with Met. After a weeks treatment, and no improvement, I lost the 3rd smaller fish and the Siam was still not eating. I was desperate. At this point I decided to begin treating the tank with anything and everything I could think of. The first product within reach was a kordon product called Rid Ich+, now there was no sign of ich on these fish at all. But I was desperate, so in went a dose. It is now 2 days later and my Siam is eating for the first time in weeks. I don't know how, I don't know why, but it's working. For those of you unfamiliar with the product, here is a link http://www.kordon.com/klistfr.htm . If anyone knows why this worked, or has any thoughts on the subject, please let me know. :D

endless
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 03:05 AM
Thats interesting. Is this medication for ich and velvet? What are the main ingredients in this medicine. One of my discus is also sick and is showing the classic symptoms of hex. ive been dosing with metro for 3 days now and have stopped since he didnt seem to be coping with the medication very well. His still not eating so maybe ill give this medicine a go

endless
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 03:06 AM
oh yeah one more thing, was your fish breathing laboured? Does metro do that to the fish. The brathing is not extremely fast but seems laboured and opens the gills fairly wide each breath

Insomnia
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 03:32 AM
No, I didn't notice any labored breathing, if you check out the link I posted, scroll down to Rid Ich on that page, it has all the info listed there. The medication is not expensive and it's non invasive, all fish seem to tolerate it well, so if you're having trouble finding something to work, as I have not had much success with Met at all in my few years of discus keeping, might has well give it and anything else you can think of a try. I'm just tired of loosing fish, and I know there has to be a better solution than Met, because I know there are a lot of success stories out there, but my fish just don't seem to respond to it.

kevkoi
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:07 PM
Doesn't exactly help anyone in Australia as Kordon products are not an allowable import. :?

endless
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 01:45 AM
woohoo ive stopped medicating with metro and my after 24 hours since stopping medication my discus is starting to eat again. hope this is a sign of its recovery.. fingers crossed

Insomnia
Fri Sep 16, 2005, 01:51 AM
4 days after the first dose of Rid Ich+ I have dosed the tank again, and I am happy to say that my last sick fish, which I had almost given up hope on and didn't even bother to mention in my original post is showing signs of life again. He has come out of hiding and is starting to peck at the food! :D