PDA

View Full Version : WTB Discus for Beginner

amurorei83
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 06:31 AM
Hi guys! :)
I'm new in this forum, and have view some impressive Discuses offered in this site. I'm interested in Discus, however this will be my 1st attempt in keeping some. Could anyone help me locate the cheatest Discus available in NSW?
I've also been informed that i should get some small ones, or ones that are not as spectacular, to begin with.

Thnx heaps :)

mcloughlin2
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 06:39 AM
I doesnt matter if a discus is a good quality malboro red or if it is a heavily peppered pigeon blood....they all need TLC....

If u are a beginer i think u should buy some discus u r happy with...not ones that u look at and think god there ugly....there a many nice discus out for $30...u could try SLS as they have some very nice discus...

And there is also ur LFS....shop around and choose something that u are happy with so u dont feel inclined to neglect ur fish (Im not saying that u will)

Sam :)

Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:03 AM
Hey, welcome and congratulations for taking the plunge...i'm in the same boat and am just planning things at the moment...one suggestion though! and please don't take this as a negative as it isn't meant to be.....you don't want the cheapest Discus in NSW...buy what you can afford but don't look for the cheapest. Nothing worse buying a 'cheap' fish only to have it die on you because it was in poor shape.....that would be more disheartening having it die for no apparent reason than spending that little bit more and having a healthy fish. Talk to Kevin at SLS. I haven't bought from him yet but he is very knowledgeable and genuine...he may be able to help you out and atleast you know you will be getting top quality fish....

Just my 2c worth

Mattzilla
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:41 AM
i believe sls have many discus very reasonably priced that would suit your needs

discusjim
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 11:21 AM
If you can afford start with 4 inch + fish. They don't need so much care anymore. Juv need a lot of care if you want them to grow into good adult fish. Never buy sick fish. Always go for healthy and as big as you afford.
Good luck!

ctvu
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 11:35 AM
I would go by Mattzilla. Give SLS a visit see how you go.

Ctvu

kevkoi
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 02:28 AM
Buy healthy discus.... not cheap discus.

Stand infront of a tank of discus... wiggle your fingers at the front glass. If the fish don't come rushing out to the front when u wiggle your fingers, don't buy! Healthy fish should be responsive and always hungry (even if they've just been fed!).

Entry point small discus are about the $30 mark for 2"fish. Generally, I recommend a 3" fish to begin with. 2" fish may be cheaper but being young fish (just like babies), require more care.

kev

ctvu
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 04:38 AM
Buy healthy discus.... not cheap discus.

Stand infront of a tank of discus... wiggle your fingers at the front glass. If the fish don't come rushing out to the front when u wiggle your fingers, don't buy! Healthy fish should be responsive and always hungry (even if they've just been fed!).

Entry point small discus are about the $30 mark for 2"fish. Generally, I recommend a 3" fish to begin with. 2" fish may be cheaper but being young fish (just like babies), require more care.

kev

So there you go, personally all fish I have are from SLS and I am down here Melbourne.

Cheers

Thanks Kev for the tip

amurorei83
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 10:30 AM
Thnx for all the info guys. I will definitely drop by SLS to check the fishes out ;)