PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Quality Discus Photos

mopondo
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 12:53 AM
Folks, I need your help. Whenever I take photos of my discus, the eyes glow white! I use a 5 megapixel digital camera. What's the trick???? I would very much appreciate your advice.

Mo.

jim
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 01:56 AM
Try not to use flash from the camera (you can shout it off manually). If you really have to use the camera flash, try to aim at 45 degree angle.

taksan
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 02:23 AM
To get any real quality tank photos its important not to use flash if at all possible ...the problem with that is there is not enough light to correctly expose a shot at a shutter speed that is not going to blur the photo.
The only real solution to this is to use eirther a film camera with high speed film (ISO 800+) and live with associated noise or to take the best solution and invest in a high ISO low light DSLR with a decent lens.
The Canon EOS 350D is a reasonably price DSLR that does ISO 1600 and would give good results ... the problem is that such camera are expensive compared to small digital camera.

Mattzilla
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 04:00 AM
if possibkle don't use flash....take the photo at night time with no lights on in the room your ware taking the pic...just use the tank light.

f you use the flash, stand further bacj from the tank and take the pic in an angle...not front on.

hope that helps

(by the way, any luck with your pairs yet)

MATT

ozarowana
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 02:09 AM
Agree with Matt. Take the pic at night time with no lights on in the room, just use the tank light. Take a lot of pics then use the best ones.

WrxAnt
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 03:34 AM
Hi Guys,

I've got a Canon EOS350D, I'll try the ISO1600 mode tonight and see what the pics are like.
I've also got a 300mm lense which should allow me to snap shots even of my Corys who hide under my Amazon Sword plant at the back of my tank.

Significantly more epxensive than a lower spec digi cam is an understatement. I think mind was $1500+ after $150 cashback from Canon where as you can get a 5mp camera for under $500 these days...

The camera includes no memory card either. And at 8mp shots in raw format.... you chew memory like its going out of fashion.

That said its a beautiful camera!

Another suggetstion for good shots is to:
A) ensure there is no algae or grime/slime on the tank wall you are shooting through
B) go over the tank glass externally with some window cleaner or metho.

DO NOT spray chemicals around the tank. Rather It is best to spray the chemicals onto your cloth somewhere removed from the tank to avoid contamination.

Cheers
Ant

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 28, 2005, 02:43 PM
Hi Ant, couldn't agree more about the Canon 350D. Wonderful camera. I've only had mine a couple of days, so I'm still learning. Fortunately I've got a friend who is a professional photographer, so I've got quite an advantage. (Thanks taksan 8-) ) LOL.

Have to say, I'm blown away by the quality of the shots though.

And yes, that's a really important point about cleaning the outside of the tank. It's too late to remove the spots, after they've spoilt that "perfect" picture :roll:

kalebjarrod
Fri Oct 28, 2005, 08:09 PM
add extra lights overhead if possible

this seems to help :wink:

WrxAnt
Sat Oct 29, 2005, 12:17 AM
Hi LadyRed,

If you've got enough lighting as suggested by others I highly recommend the 1600ISO setting and a long focal length lense, turning the lights off in the room and sitting back and waiting for a good shot.

You'll get some nice natural shots especially of fish not so keen on being under close scrutiny by their keepers. My Corys and my BN are notorious for hiding as soon as I come in the room :)

Cheers
Ant