PDA

View Full Version : Water conditioners

jimhsv
Mon Sep 12, 2005, 12:32 AM
G,day all bought my first juevies the other day 4 to be exact,4 green turqs and want to know about conditioners i have geo liquid do any other people use it and another question my discus are in a community tank at the moment with angel and various catfish can i run the sheel grit with them.

ps they will have there own tank by the end of the year and would'nt mind nowing how to get good bacteria in the tank.

Thanks Jim.

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 12, 2005, 11:30 AM
Jim, we try to keep it simple with our discus. We need to do so many waterchanges, that it become very expensive if you are adding things like Geo Liquid at each change.

I'll tell you how I keep my tanks, and then you can decide yourself.

I change the water on my tanks, at a mimimum three times a week, on the juvenile tanks, they get a daily water change, and on the growing fry tanks, they get twice daily changes.

Now most of the changes are around 30% each, and I have some pretty big tanks, so we're talking about a lot of water here. I don't add anything to the water, other than a top quality water ager which controls chlorine, chloramine, ammonia and heavy metals.

Our Melbourne water comes out of the tap just about perfect for discus, with a neutral pH and very soft. All it needs is to be aged for 24 hours to stabilize the pH and treated for chlorine. Toss a handfull of shellgrit or coral sand into the tank, to buffer the pH, and you're set.

jimhsv
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 04:08 AM
Thanks ladyred,just another question how do you age the water and get the right temperature to put the water back.

Thanks Jim

axelfaz
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 05:17 AM
jim to age water you just use a large drum with heater and powerhead to airrate the water i also add water conditioner(prime). I hope that helps.Ben had a good photo artical of it but carnt find the thread sorry.

Cameron

jimhsv
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks Cam that sounds good.