PDA

View Full Version : what to do with breeding pair.

spotted
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 10:03 AM
Dear all,

First let me share a bit of tank, fish and water condition back ground.

I'll bought two red Turq 1M&1F and 1F very red Turq and 1M leopard skins at SLS two week ago, they are in a 4' standard tank per pair with PH reading of 7.00 and from last sunday 10% a day and 50% every 3 day.

1st time-
fish come home on a monday and the VRT&LS pair breed on thursday, they then eat all the eggs by saturday morning.

2nd time-
They start breed again on sunday norning and eat the egg by tuesday.

now,
come home last night after work and found egg on the PVC and this time eggs look very fesh(not like last two time), the male and female take turn to blow the eggs even when feeding time. Oh and I did change 20% water last night.
This morning, observe the eggs and found no bad eggs and all still look fesh so I did 10%water change then feed them.

Can anyone tell me if the water change will help keeping the eggs fesh or this is a bad practice?

Is there anything else to do to ensure eggs will hatch successfully?

If they hatch, should I continue the water change rate?

Is there anything else I should do?, please feel free to educate me :)

goldenpigeon
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 10:23 AM
i would stop doing the water changes when they have eggs. also with all that water being changed they will keep spawning. that is a good thing but so you dont wear them out try 10% every 2nd or 3rd day.

HTH

spotted
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks HTH,

So, how longe should I stop the water change for and when will they hatch, if it's will(not putting my hope up after last two time).

Cheers.

goldenpigeon
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 10:37 AM
lol mate HTH means HOPE THIS HELPS lol :lol:

my name is David.... most ppl here call me Junior

anywayz if they have eggs do not water change for a week (if they hatch... if they eat the eggs then resume water changes). after the first week the fry will beeating the parents slime coat. start doing 10% water changes every 2nd day using an airline and be as descrete as possible. fill the tank up slowly so you dont frighten the parents.

HTH

cheers J

DR.V
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 10:38 AM
I keep doing normal water change up until they fry are hatched and stuck to the breeding cone.

Then for the next 3-4 days, I wont do any w/c. During this time fry would be too small to see, im afraid that I will suck of them.

After 4-5 days, most fry will stuck to the parents make it easier to see. Do a carefull waterchange about 20% daily.

Be carefull when adding the water not to create too much slash or water movement, might upset the parents and fry.

I think 4ft for a pair will be too big. It'll be harder for the fry to find the parents. But see how it goes.

Any change getting a pic ??

Good luck

DR.V
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 10:40 AM
HTH fits you well Junior LOL hehehe...

spotted
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 10:54 AM
Sorry David

I'm not used to chat at all.

Thanks DR.v(I hope this is correct)
All advice are consider and will apply with trail and error.

Cheers
Loi :oops:

spotted
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 11:13 AM
Hi guys
Since reading the basic breeding guide, it's indicated that nothing dark in the tanks other than the breeding pair.

My tanks bottom is painted back, will this cause any trouble?

Loi

DR.V
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 11:26 AM
Hmm theres nothing you can do now ....

How about now you remove any other dark objects in the tank.

Also put your light on one side only. If the cones are on the left then put the light on the right.

Make the side where the cone are, as dark as possible.