PDA

View Full Version : Fish gawking

sammigold
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 06:13 AM
Today the man and I and bubs went to a couple of LFS to just have a look (of course ended up buying as well! :lol: ) anyway at one of them we saw a very very skinny emanciapated discus. He was so black that you could hardly tell what type he is. ( I think from the colour of his face and his virtually clear fins he might be a blue diamond) Anyway I asked the guy who works there about him and he told us that a customer had brought him in a few weeks ago and that he was even skinnier then!!! He is now eating at least 3 times a day. I saw them feed him and he was eating.. I was glad to see that they were trying to save him... I cant believe that someone would have left him to get so skinny... anyway he looks like he will recover which is good. also saw a couple of reasonably priced heckles about 3" . They have amazing marine tanks there as well.... Awe inspiring!

At the other place we went to (our normal guy) I bought myself some guppies (hopefully they will survive) and he also had some discus and a couple of them were quite skinny he said they are eating but they came in really skinny so he's hoping that he can fatten them up, they were only very small juvies.. they looked like blue cobalts. anyway thats all for now. bye.... :D :D

nicholas76
Sun Sep 18, 2005, 01:27 PM
Hi sammy

sounds like you have seen nothing but runted discus.

its nice that people try and save discus that are not doing so well however when it comes to young fish like that once the damage is done its highly unlikely that good growth can be achieved.

i think the real question lies with the people who let them get to that poor state in the first place.

perhaps they should stick to gold fish.

ps - im not knocking gold fish owners Lol

sammigold
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 02:01 AM
I have goldfish in a pond outside and I know what your saying... virtually no maintenance required! :lol: :lol:

The first fish I talked about was actually a fair size height and lengthwise but totally skeletal... hopefully he will improve now that he is being looked after... he was about 4-5 inches including tail.... (is that a fair size?)