PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Lady

Stuart
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 08:06 PM
Hiya :)

I have a number of discus juveniles, many of which I purchased knowing what strain they are. The one below, however, I bought as one fish amonst many on ebay nearly a year ago. She is now maturing and taking an interest in a maturing male purple cobalt and I think it's time I found out what she is.

Do any of you know?

Merrilyn
Sat Sep 10, 2005, 06:26 AM
Stuart, I believe you have a wild brown. These were the original fish to be caught and exported. We don't see a lot of good brown fish around today, most people seem to prefer the more colourful varieties.

I still think the browns have a charm all of their own. A pair of browns in breeding colour is a sight to behold. :o

Stuart
Sat Sep 10, 2005, 11:50 AM
Thank you Lady Red - she is beautiful and one of my favourites :)

Someone suggested she might be a red alnquer - but her main colouration is brown/slightly orange and not red.

Merrilyn
Sat Sep 10, 2005, 01:39 PM
At first I thought so too, until I compared her with one of my Red Alenquer fish. As you can see, there is a marked difference.

discusjim
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 12:09 AM
Nice fish,
A brown discus is a type of discus. Alenquer is a regio in brasil where brown discus life. The brown's that life over there colour red. But these days a lot of people say if you have a brown/ red wild type fish, that it is a alenquer. i think your fish is a brown. Browns are always 9 bar fish. i think the pic that ladyred showd is not a alenquer but a rose red. Brown discus can't have more them 9 bars !
Sorry for my bad english i am learning imigrated about a year ago from holland. Thanks
Jim

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 12, 2005, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the information Jim. It's wonderful that we can all share information here, that's why I love this forum. :P

And your english is excellent, we can all understand your meaning. :wink:

Mattzilla
Mon Sep 12, 2005, 08:09 AM
very nice looking brown you got there mate

i have a soft spot for browns myself...

discusjim
Mon Sep 12, 2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks ladyred! :lol:

Stuart
Tue Sep 13, 2005, 02:29 PM
Thank you all - I only wish I had a male brown to match her, the male she has taken a shine to is a Purple Cobalt :)

Tryhard
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:39 PM
That should be an interesting cross

Stuart
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 02:08 PM
well I'll be blowed - lol. Came down to eggs this morning. As I write half of them have been eaten - wasn't expecting much from a surprise spawn, but someone's getting ready.