PDA

View Full Version : Brine Shrimp

DR.V
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 02:57 PM
Hi all , I went to one of my lfs today asking for baby brine shrimp.

And he told me something about brine shrimp.

He told me that it is best to feed your fish newly hatched baby brine shrimp, because after 2 days , its losing all the valuable nutrients.

Well it doesnt lose ALL the nutrients , but just not as good as newly hatched ones.

Is this true ???

Thanks in advance

dreamer
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 03:07 PM
newly hatched brine shrimps still have their egg sack so i guess thats what make them more nutritious ..

sammigold
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:41 PM
I saw a kit at the LFS where you can grow your own baby brine shrimp all you need is a tank at 26 degrees and this little kit comes with eggs, salt, etc. It looked quite easy.... Maybe you could grow them yourself..? that would be cool 8-)

DR.V
Wed Sep 14, 2005, 01:01 PM
Yeah you can buy this kit , but you can also make your own out of plastic bottle ... its cheaper.

Have a look at Ben's article about hacthing brine shrimp hehe ....

Ben
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 12:06 AM
Sorry Dr V,
just hijaking your thread!

Below is a pic of the brine shrimp i have growing up.
I am unable to get a close up yet and the camera wont focus on small brine shrimp!
But they have quad trupled in size.

You have a point that it is better to feed newly hatched brine shrimp sooner rather than later, but if the brine shrimp was feed on spiralina for a while that would make them more nutritous.
just a thought?

Cheers,
Ben

DR.V
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 07:58 AM
wow thats cool Ben, but why do you need that much ??? do you feed all your discus with live brine shrimp ??

Ben
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 08:03 AM
lol Dr V!

i feed the babies up to 1 month 6 times per day.
If i fed 50 babies, this amount would last me less than a week!

I wanted to grow up some brine shrimp to see if i still have the nack for it and show everyone on the forum how easy it is!

I dont feed adults live brine shrimp, well.....not yet!

Cheers,
Ben