PDA

View Full Version : Which should I get

United21Soccer
Sat May 15, 2004, 08:40 PM
Now i have been wanting discus for a while now, and after reading a TON on discus, i feel like now is the time to get them, but first a little backround...

I would put them in a completely cycled 29 gal. (2.5 ft. i believe) tank for a few months until i get my new 75 gal. It was a community tank with various sharks, loaches, and pleco's until they got too big and I sold them. Do you think i should get rid of the rest of the fish? There are 2 small bala's, and a red tailed black shark along with a small common pleco. I know many people recommend a Discus only tank.

The other thing is that it is decorated with plants, rocks, and has a gravel subtrate. Should i worry about left over food and feces getting in the gravel and clouding the water? If so, do you think i should gradually remove the gravel over time.

My water is good right now with pH neutral and nitrites 0, nitrates <0.05mg/l

I do regular water changes and gravel vac. twice weekly, and keep water in a storage bin

Sorry about the long post, but any answers would be appreciated!

jluna
Sat May 15, 2004, 09:26 PM
hey there -

my only advice would be to be patient, get the new tank up and start clean... discus love room, very clean water, and peaceful companions (ditch the RT shark imo!!) and you don't know what yr other fish might be harbouring re: parasites etc...

i really think you'll kick yrself starting off on the wrong foot. go slow and buy healthy bubs, and you'll be set!

justin

flukes
Sun May 16, 2004, 01:36 AM
I was in exactly this postion, i had a 3fter and i wanted discus, and i said ill put them in the 3fter for a while and then when i get the 4fter ill move them. 6 months later and they have just been moved, but i have just recently bought 9 fish which are all together in a tank and i can really see the difference when discus are in larger groups.
Just personally if I was starting out again i would wait till the larger tank, because i got some beuatiful fish of Kev and now because they havent had the room and other discus they have been stunted a bit. They are still nice healthy fish but they would have been alot better if i had waited for the larger tank.
Also 29gal isnt much, then with plants and so forth, other fish, you wouldbe pushing to keep 2 discus in there, and they would fight like crazy..
In the end its up to you but id be waiting for the 75g's and do it right from the start.

United21Soccer
Sun May 16, 2004, 02:03 AM
Thanx. I think thats what i will do, even if it means waiting a couple months...