PDA

View Full Version : bare bottom tank

axelfaz
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 10:48 AM
hi guys just a quick question bb tanks since i dont have much luck with them. Iam looking at setting up a 3 foot tank that holds 200l for 6 3 to 4 inch fish what filtration would you all recommend. :?: and heater etc thanks for the help.

cameron

Benny
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 12:09 PM
Hey mate, given our fishies likings of particularly clean water, and the fact there wont be any gravel to have bacteria growing on it either, i would say filtration of 4-5 times the total tank volume is appropriate, however filtration is ultimately only limited by your budget really...

You could go for a sump filter, if you dont mind the sloshing noise of water (i know some sumps are nearly silent, but its a factor..........) and they are quite pricey too... Seeing as the tank isnt THAT terribly huge i would think an Aqua One CF1000 or CF1200 would be an appropriate choice, and i would also consider changing some of the filter media to a higher quality, such as the eheim efisubstrat or pro... Though i am using 10 yr old fluval noodles with no problems..............

You can go the eheim route, if your budget extends that far, however having an aqua one cf500 and a via aqua 750 (aqua one cf1200) i cannot complain bout the quality or reliability of the filters, theyre both outstanding, and so is my fluval 203 from 13 yrs ago!!!

Oh and heaters, aqua ones both glass and stainless have never failed me either, but i hear the hydor inline ones are good... i would reccomend a 250W-300W heater for this sized tank...

Regards,
Benny

dreamer
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 02:29 PM
for easier maintenance you could use sponge filter and aquaclear for tank of of that size

Ben
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 07:57 AM
Hi Cam,
For a "grow up" tank, a canister filter will be good.
Personally i am fond of the ehiem classic range and a 2215 would be perfect. Just leave the cap at the end of the spray bar off, there is not so much turbulence.

As for heaters, you could go 2 options. Maybe an internal/submersible heater. Go for a good quality one. Hydor and jager are excellent.
You could put an inline external heater on the outflow pipe of the canister filter; these are great as there is less equipment seen within the tank.

What ever the filtration you get, just keep up those water changes!

Cheers,
Ben