PDA

View Full Version : How To Read Strip Thermometers

Bronx19
Sun Sep 04, 2005, 02:24 AM
Hey guys, how do you read the black strip thermometers?

Mine are showing different colours in 32/30/28 sections, and Im not sure which one you go by.

Fishpimpin73
Sun Sep 04, 2005, 04:26 PM
Problem with these type of therm is that they can be affected by the temp OUTSIDE of the tank, and they just give you a temp "range" reading.

I would recc a floater for a more accurate reading.
( but that is just me )

HTH

oscar
Sun Sep 04, 2005, 08:22 PM
Bronx,

Usually the liquid crystal thermometers work as follows.

They should show three coloured squares at any one time. They will be brown, green, and blue. You may or may not see a slight smearing of the colours into adjacent squares. Anyway the one in the middle, which should be the green one, is the actual temperature "that the device is reading".

As Fishpimpin stated, these devices are not giving you atrue indication of the water temp. it's actually reading a combination of the glass temperature and the air around it.

HTH.

Bronx19
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 02:36 AM
Cool, thanks for the help. I couldnt find that anywhere on the net.

The funny thing is, the two LCD's are giving me a higher reading than a floater I have put in.

I have brown, green, blue (32,30,28) and blue, brown, grey (30,29,28) yet the floater is telling me its 25/26.

If the air temp is affecting the LCD, it should read a lower temp than the floater, since its only about 20 in my house, correct?

I have two heaters in the tank set to 30, and they arent running continuously, so I guess I'll assume the LCD's are right.

endless
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 08:10 AM
yep i would think so. guess ur floater is faulty

oscar
Mon Sep 05, 2005, 07:45 PM
I would agree. Keep in mind none of these devies ever come with callibration certificates!

Majority rules i say.