PDA

View Full Version : Help with new discus

wmartino
Fri Sep 02, 2005, 01:39 AM
I just got my first two discus in on Sunday. Today I noticed on one of their heads what looks like dried food stuck to it. Thay both seem to be acting fine and eating. I tried to take a pic but they wont sit still. If anyone has any info that would be great.

Thanks

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 02, 2005, 04:02 AM
Hi wmartino and welcome to the forum. I'm not quite sure what you are describing. It could simply be some skin that the fish knocked when dashing thru the tank, or it could be something more sinister.

A pic would really help. I find if you pull up a chair to the front of the tank, and just quietly wait, you can usually get a good shot.

Can you tell us a bit more about your tank ? Particularly your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings, planted or bare tank, and what other fish you have in there. Oh, and the size of the tank and the discus.

Any other symptoms, and do their droppings look normal ?

wmartino
Fri Sep 02, 2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I think you are right about knocking off the skin. I have two discus (about 3" in size) the one with the problem on his head would peck at the other everytime he went to eat. I have since nocticed when I feed them He leaves the other one alone. I do have a piece of driftwood in there he could of hit it swimming through the tank. As of right now he is acting just fine. I will keep an I on him.

As far as my tank goes, it is a 55g. It is planted.
Other fish inclued:
2 angels
4 serpa tetras
4 glowlight tetras
5 endlers guppies
2 discus

Tank paramaters:
pH -- 7.0
AM -- 0 ppm
NI -- .5 ppm
NA -- 10 ppm

I think I might need better filtration all I have on the back is a Millennium 3000. I was told by my local LFS it would be plenty. But I wonder about the truth in that. I also have a Magnum HOT 250 but I will only use it to polish the water as the discus don't like the extra current. Any sugestions would be great.