PDA

View Full Version : tank size for fry

skoom
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 01:46 AM
Dear Friends,

I have about 40 fries from my first spawn. They are about 3 weeks old and a bit under 1cm in length.

They are currently in an 80L tank.

I would like to know how much room do I need to give these babies?

I understand the general rule for fish is 10G/fish but I don't think I can offer this.

I have a 3ft tank (40G) available, would this be enough?

Many thanks.

Aside, is the best way from keeping fish spawning in the community tank is by putting coral pieces in the filter? They are currently too busy fighting and protecting their spots and not eating.

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 04:18 AM
Skoom, I like to keep my fry in a fairly small tank. It just helps with the waterchanges, and feeding routine. I think they do better and just feel safer in a school.

Keep them in the smaller tank for a while longer, and then after they grow a bit more, move them into the 3 footer. Keep up your daily waterchanges, and you should be able to keep them in that tank till they are of a saleable size.

I don't think I'd be putting coral pieces in the filter of the main tank to discourage breeding. It will make the water quite hard and keep your pH stable, but I don't think it will have any effect on their desire to breed, except that the eggs won't be able to be fertilised.

Add a few coral fragments to the filter on your fry tank. It encourages good bone growth.

skoom
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks Ladyred.

I change 50% everyday at the moment. I have added a hang on filter with colonised substrate to keep the water parameters normal.

What is a good saleable size?

The fish are currently 3 weeks old, a cross between a red rose and an ocean green.

Thanks again for the advice ladyred.

skoom
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:44 PM
By the way ladyred, how do you get the fish to start eating beef heart? They don't seem too interested at the moment. Some are picking up pieces off the floor but i don't know if they are actually ingesting it. Do i have to wean them off the live bbs before they'll accept it? They are 3 weeks old.

Also, is it necessary to prophylactically treat newborn fish with metro/prazi? If so, when?

Many thanks.