PDA

View Full Version : Discus "Hiding"

mcloughlin2
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 10:03 AM
How long does it take before discus will start to swim around in the open and stop hiding :) ....They have been in the tank since bout 2:00pm today...1 of my 4 discus is starting come out and show its colour but only very very slowly...any help would be appreciated...

DR.V
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 11:34 AM
It could takes up to a week or maybe two.

When they gets hungry they'll come out looking for food.

But hiding for new discus is normal.

HTH

Ben
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 11:42 AM
Give them time mate!
they just need to settle into thier new home.

Cheers,
Ben

Merrilyn
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 12:09 PM
Ditto to both of the above comments.
Discus are shy fish. Give them some time to get used to their new home. :)

mcloughlin2
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 10:07 PM
OK thanks guys...they are so much different to african cichlids....africans would have been trying to breed by now LOL....

Sam :D

WrxAnt
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 10:00 AM
I've kept discus now for 3 years and some of my discus still hide behind driftwood when I enter the room.

Absolutely frustrating!!!

Cheers
Ant

rytis
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 11:02 AM
How long does it take before discus will start to swim around in the open and stop hiding :) ....They have been in the tank since bout 2:00pm today...1 of my 4 discus is starting come out and show its colour but only very very slowly...any help would be appreciated...

i ordered discus online twice. first time it took like a week for them to fully feel comfortable, second time about two weeks. both times i definetely thought i will lose half or all of them.... just got my 10th discus from the local store few days ago, he's fine right away.

u gota have a good filter

mcloughlin2
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 12:47 AM
I have a good filter....its a cannister filter that pumps 1500l an hour....plenty for a standard 4foot tank....... :wink:

DR.V
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 06:03 AM
Ant, do you have lights on that tank ?

WrxAnt
Sun Oct 02, 2005, 01:19 PM
Hey Dr V.

Yes I have lights on the tank.

Its a 6x2x2. It has 2 standard Compact flouros (normal tungsten light bulb globes) and 1 x 4ft NEC Flouro.

The fish have been quite friendly at times and then go back to hiding again.

At the moment they'll be out feeding and swimming around and when I enter the room they hide behind the drift wood and peak out.

Cheers
Ant