PDA

View Full Version : bullying

Darth_discus
Sat Aug 27, 2005, 10:14 AM
just wandering my discus from oafi have been picking on the samller oafi discus and another from somewhere else both discus are roughly the same size

i got the oafi discus about a month ago

also when there is a sore on the discus does that mean its slime coat has been penetrated and it can become infected and what treatment could i use to treat the sores

marg
Sat Aug 27, 2005, 11:43 AM
Darth how many Discus do you have in the tank- that could be your problem - if there are only three Discus in the tank that usually causes problems - it is not adviseable to keep them in groups of three.

When you say there is a sore on the Discus, can you describe it? If it is from the Fish bumping against a rock or something in the tank (which can happen if the fish get a fright and take off all of a sudden) usually it heals itself in a couple of days.

Darth_discus
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 01:51 AM
there is six discus

and given that yesterday it did get a fright it is a good chance to say that it bumped itself against something, but thanks for ur insight anyway.

timothy

nicholas76
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 08:27 AM
Timothy,

the behaviour you mention is normal. A "pecking" order develops, you will always end up with a weak one. You can try and fix this by getting more fish into that tank.

in relation to the fish having a sore , or being scared. I would ask you to check your Ph and kh values.

burns can occur from a rapid change in your ph. Ph swings can make your fish skittish causing them to dart about injurring themselves.

cheers