PDA

View Full Version : fingersXXXX for a family

poppy
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 10:39 PM
My discus pair have been spawning for 6 months now with no avail apart from superbaby,

I have put them back in the breeding tank again and used rainwater for water changes for a week now, to make the water softer,

I no have my first batch of wrigglers, 25 - 30 of them......... Im soooooo excited, this may finally be it

Mum and Dad have gone very dark and seem very attentive, the wrigglers are now 14 hours old,

Ill keep you all posted

poppy

mcloughlin2
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 10:44 PM
Good on ya poppy!!

Six months and still noe fry to survive....god i hope that doesnt happen to me LOL...i hope all goes well :D

Ben
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 11:48 PM
Hi Poppy,

Dont worry i have had the same thing, some pairs take a lot longer to get it right than others.

Keep us posted on how the fry go, but by the sounds of it this time they have worked it out.

Cheers,
Ben

poppy
Sat Aug 27, 2005, 07:57 AM
yes have counted 30 wrigglers........ they have grown markedly since this morning and I don't think they have lost any..........

their bodies have grown and the dots for eyes visible,

How long before they will attach to mum and dad??

Im so excited and trying not to bother them too much........... but they seem relaxed with my face peering at them now and then, even spoiling them with some live food,

cheers

poppy :D :D :D

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 27, 2005, 08:38 AM
Wonderful news Poppy. Congratulations :P

We've all got our fingers and toes crossed for you.

The fry attach in approx 3 to 4 days from the time of hatching.

Make sure there is nothing dark in the tank, and that they can't be sucked up into the filter intake (cover it will filter wool).

Sometimes dropping the level of the water will help the fry to find their parents.

And don't forget your night light, so the fry can find their parents.

marg
Sat Aug 27, 2005, 11:34 AM
Congratulations Poppy, you lucky thing. I'm still trying (or should I say, my pair are still practicing - when they stop being cannibals maybe I'll be right). Keep us posted.

poppy
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 09:42 PM
hatched fry now 60 hours old.......

The fry are now at the stage of wanting to free swim and mum and dad keep mouthing them back onto the cone, some go a little astray........ i hope they all find their way back

I hope the know to attch to mum and dad and i hope they know to let them........ Im on the edge of my seat

i dont want to go to work..........LOL.......... but they probably will like the solitude

ill keep u posted

poppy

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 08:13 AM
Sounds good Poppy. The parents will keep trying to put them back on the cone, till all of them are free swimming. Then instinct will take over, and the fry will attach.

Isn't this an exciting time :lol:

chris
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 09:57 AM
Awesome news what sort are they :?:

poppy
Mon Aug 29, 2005, 09:48 PM
yes very exciting......... they are now freeswimming intbetween mum and dad, only about 10 left now but they seem healthy and growing

they are 2 blue turqs

chhers 4 now

poppy

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 30, 2005, 02:21 AM
Wonderful news.

I never worry about small numbers in their first spawn. It gives them an easy introduction to parenthood. The second spawn is usually much bigger.

We'd love to see some pics when you're ready. :P

poppy
Tue Aug 30, 2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks...........will do a pic soon........... trying to keep my distance

I have 10 lil Indians now........... they have been feeding well and i havent lost an at all since this am............. so heres hoping........ they are growing well..........

yes i think a small amount is nice 4 them........... just dont want to lose any more................ but any survivers even 1 would be a buzz

Thanks

Poppy

poppy
Tue Aug 30, 2005, 07:59 AM
looking back I havent lost any in 24 hours so I think thats a great sign......... and they know where there food it coming from

jim from sydney
Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:00 AM
Poppy......keep being a good mother to them....JIm

poppy
Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:46 PM
thanks Jim.....

Still got 10 lil indians and they are growing nicely,

:D :D :D :D :D :D

poppy

jim from sydney
Tue Aug 30, 2005, 10:57 PM
Poppy....give them plenty "vitabrits" LOL

poppy
Thu Sep 01, 2005, 07:56 AM
they r so cute

9 lil indians.............(FISH) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I can notice their growth and even have lil fins, and are good swimmers.........

Im very proud and fascinated!!

Cheers poppy

(cant seem to get a decent pic yet with my digi cam)

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 02, 2005, 03:09 AM
Ahhhhh this is such a wonderful time.

Poppy, I'm just thrilled for you.

Try and get those pictures. You'll want to look back on your first spawn in the years to come. Nothing like having a photographic record of their progress to compare future spawns with. :P

jim from sydney
Fri Sep 02, 2005, 09:20 AM
Poppy.........put your boyfriend on hold and spend time taking PICTURES....PICTURES and more PICTURES .......

poppy
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 07:58 AM
9 DAYS OLD and 8 bubs still alive

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

they seem to be beginning to lap up the BBS, and are getting bigger everytime i look at them

YAY Im so excited!!!

Still cant get a decent pic with my digi cam :(

keep u all posted

POPPY

rytis
Thu Sep 15, 2005, 11:47 PM
how many bubs u swtill have alive? ijust joined this today, but interesting topic, but noticed it ended abruptly i hope at least a few still alive :cry:

poppy
Sat Sep 17, 2005, 08:44 PM
Hi

thanks for your interest.....

alas............ my bubs made it to 2 weeks old free swimming and were really starting to take shape...........

then they drppped off one per day and I lost the lot.........

fingers xxxx for the next spawn

poppy

richardbrook01
Sun Sep 18, 2005, 09:14 AM
Do Discus pair for life or will they change partners within the shoal

jim from sydney
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:45 AM
Hi

alas............ my bubs made it to 2 weeks old free swimming and were really starting to take shape...........

poppy

Poppy....sorry to hear it......keep talking to them....Jim

Ben
Mon Sep 19, 2005, 11:10 PM
Sorry poppy.
there is always next time!

keep us posted.
Ben

nicholas76
Tue Sep 20, 2005, 05:58 AM
Hi

poppy

Poppy....sorry to hear it......keep talking to them....Jim

Treat the parents for flukes!!!!!!!!!!!!!