PDA

View Full Version : RO units?

AussieStar
Sun Aug 21, 2005, 11:08 AM
hi,
im changing my 6ft planted tank into a BB discus tank, and was wonder what if i really need a RO unit. I already have a pH controller unit so that will keep my ph down and with a 10% WC every w/e i think that it would be enough, Buti thinking of getting oen casue i really want a nano reef tank. But I would think that i would only need at 50 GPD one and was looking at one on reef online http://www.reefonline.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=37_38&products_id=295 , But would this be enough? and is they anywhere else to get one cheaper?[/url]

mistakes r crucial
Sun Aug 21, 2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Aussie,

Did you enjoy that smoke?
MAC

AussieStar
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 08:23 AM
????

mistakes r crucial
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 09:45 AM
Man, read your original post! You've confused the crap outta me but never mind.
MAC

AussieStar
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 10:59 AM
Yea dunno worry about it, i was trying to ask if discus really need ro water. I am getting, well planning to get a nano reef tank aswell and corals go well with ro water so it would be good for both, but im not going to worry about it with the discus

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 02:17 PM
Hi Aussie, some breeders and keepers of discus in New South Wales are beginning to look at RO units simply because of the poor quality of the tap water recently.

While it will be essential for your nano reef tank, I think it's still optional for your discus tank.

One thing worries me a little, and that is you say you plan to do a 10% water change every weekend. That's not going to be enough to keep your discus happy. These are fish that really do like their water very clean. I would suggest that 25% twice a week would be an absolute minimum.

Some of us do water changes every day :P

Ben
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 11:35 PM
I live in Melbourne and i use an R/O unit for my discus. The water here is quite soft ,any how but i find i have happier, healthy discus since using R/O water for the discus.

Its a simple 3 stage unit, on the sediment stage i have a 1 micron pleated sediment cardtridge and i have to wash this every 2000 litres! Its amazing seeing all the brown gunk that is in the water! :shock:
And imagine we are drinking that!!!

When it comes to the carbon cartdridge i hate to think what it is taking out, all the nasties we cant see!

very easy units to connect.
here is where i bought mine from, Peter is a very helpful bloke and i recommend them!

http://www.psifilters.com.au/index.htm

Make sure you do lots of water changes if you keep discus as Merrilyn mentioned! I do my adults 6 times per week! :D

HTH

Ben

AussieStar
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 08:14 AM
k is that the FRESH WATER AQUARIUM RO one?, casue i member on a marine forum also uses the same for his marine and discus.

Yer i might have to get a bigger storage tank then for the water changes. Do you store you water aged and heated?

Ben
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 12:24 PM
I have the water stored in 5x 200 litre drums heated at 26.c with an airstone.
works a treat!

cheers,
Ben