PDA

View Full Version : Breeding tank size

DIY
Sun Aug 21, 2005, 01:49 AM
Is a 2foot 65-70l aquarium big enough as a breeding tank?

And what would be better as a filter.
canister flter with some sponge over the inlet or
removable inbuilt powerhead/trickle filter, just like the aqua-one tanks that have the filters at the top only this tank is a different brand.

Thanks

DR.V
Sun Aug 21, 2005, 08:31 AM
that is a suitable size for breeding tank

for breeding i would suggest using a sponge filter

skoom
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 04:35 AM
I have a similar sized breeding tank, and using a sponge filter.

The fries are now 2weeks old.

When is it safe to add and extra filter...eg hang on filter in? I am concerned about water quality. I am currently changing 50% per day.

DIY
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys, at least I can use the tank I've already got if needed.

I know sponge filters are the popular choice for a breeding tank, but it seems a bit silly for me to buy a sponge filter when I've got a spare canister filter that I could just slow right down and wrap a pad around the inlet whaddya think?

DR.V
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 10:16 AM
wrapping the inlet is a good idea. Just make sure you wrap them with something light such as filter wool because the fry will attract to anything dark in the tank. You dont want the fry getting near the filter :P

Good luck

DIY
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 12:53 PM
I was thinking something simple and cheap, like the dacron from spotlight (I cut up to use as filter pad's) wrapped around the inlet and held on with rubber bands.

real High tech stuff!

The canister filter I have is a cheapo jebo unit with a tap to adjust the flow so I figure I could just slow it right down.

wyldchyld01
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 09:58 AM
hey, good idea, just watch elastic bands as they deteriorate in water (and so i'd say lose something in your water quality). zip ties may work just as well

Brenton