PDA

View Full Version : Help! My new discus are sick

endless
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:43 PM
Initially i thought that they were shy cause they were still eating but now i think its something more sinister. Four of my new discus have gone really dark and their fins are clamped to their body. Also two of them seems to have a white cloudy film on their body and fins. Two are breathing very rapidly. From reading this forum it seems like my fish have velvet. Can someone please confirm whether this is the case or is it another disease. If it is velvet what would be the best medication to use??

My water parameters are as follows:
PH: 6.8
GH: 7
KH: 4
Nitrate: 15ppm
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

Your help is greatly appreciated

endless
Fri Aug 19, 2005, 07:13 AM
Ok i went to my LFS yesterday and bought a product called Protazin (i think thats how u spell it) from waterlife. I was actually looking for malachite green but none of the stores that i went to (4 in total) sold it so i decided to get this product cause the guy at LFS said it was very good for treating Velvet. There was no ingredient list on the bottle but the guy did say it contained some malachite. I'm keeping my fingers crossed at this stage and hope that everything turns out ok

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 19, 2005, 12:29 PM
Protazin is a very good product, and should help.

If not, I suggest you go to the vet and get some metro to treat the fish.

endless
Sat Aug 20, 2005, 12:41 PM
I've just finished the 3rd day of medication and the fish seem to be getting better. They are all eating now and are not afraid of the light anymore. They still seem to have a little bit of an itch and ocassionaly darts for no apparent reason. Two of my fish still quite dark in color and their fins are still not fully erect. I will do a final dose of protazin on the sixth day as suggested on the bottle and see how it goes.

Merrilyn
Sun Aug 21, 2005, 03:42 PM
Good luck endless. Hope things are improving.

endless
Mon Aug 22, 2005, 01:41 AM
Yep the discus look pretty good today :D . I think they are nearly 100%. I also got myself some metro in cause of future outbreaks.