PDA

View Full Version : Discus Growth and Fattening Up

waterflash
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 12:51 PM
Hi all
Have had 2 discus in my display tank (5'x18"x18") now for about 12 months and when first placed into the tank they grew very quickly from about 6cm hight to 10cm hight in just few months. After that they have come to a complete standstill. I do have two other smaller discus in the tank about 7cm high. Their only other companions are tetra's around 15 of them assorted varietys. They are not stressed and eat well about six blocks of discus mix (beefheart, bloodworm etc) each day. I do try to get them to take some dry food with varying success. They are very competitive for their food and get right into it. I wormed the tank about 4 months ago and could almost guarantee they are 99.9% healthy (as much as you can guarantee that.) As you can see on the pic they are not wasted or look unhealthy just not what I have seen elsewere, discus looking much larger and fuller bodies. I think I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions, hints or points to consider?

Thanks

Robin

mistakes r crucial
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:06 PM
Pretty fish Robin. How often do you change water?
MAC

waterflash
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 10:57 AM
One to two times per week. Basically depending on when I get out of the office, if you know what I mean. I have just changed jobs and the hours have increase to the point that I have had to shut down 15 tanks in the back shed, because of no time. o the display tanks gets all the attention.

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 19, 2005, 12:14 PM
That looks like a nice healthy fish to me Robin. Adding another feed or two per day will help to bulk up your fish. What you are feeding is perfect.

Your fish are only 12 months old. They tend to bulk up as they get older, so give them a bit more time. They look good to me. :P