PDA

View Full Version : Breeding pair pricing (split from WTB breeding pairs in MEL)

jim from sydney
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:57 AM
Hi 21.....i am like you but at that price ...think again......it' s mad.....we should take Merrilyn's suggestion, buy them young and grow-up with them and enjoy their efforts in spawning...i am going to do exactly that....besides if something goes wrong then it didn't break the bank....Who can affort 1000 bucks a pair anyway.....some-one is making a killing here ..:evil: :evil: :evil:
i think it is time to think do we want discus keeping as a hobby and enjoy it, or as a business to make money?????
we need to make up our own minds about that
......Jim

Proteus
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 03:44 AM
$1,000 for a confirmed breeding pair is cheap (for good quality fish anyway).

First you need to look at why do you want to breed them, if like me it is for the joy and challenge of it then juvies are the way to go.

However, if you want them to breed for financial return, then you need to get good stock. You cant expect to make a good return if you are using a $200 pair (whilst they might be nice fish, you wont be able to command the higher prices if breeding is successful).

It comes down to what you want in return, and what is available in the market. Prices have come down tremendously over the past 1-2 years (2-3yrs ago, $2,000-$4,000 was not unheard of for a A+ Grade breeding pair) so make sure you know what you want and go from there.

discus21
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 04:07 AM
thanks for the advise

but i think you have to keep in mind that 90% of us
just love having discus (hobby)
and not to make a profit(business)
as you described
and the normal person cannot afford such prices for FISH

maybe in sydney they are more expensive
but in melbourne they are definetly not that price

i have already been offered a pair for $300.00
from a nice gentlemen

so as i said thank you but NO thank you
discus21

mistakes r crucial
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 04:10 AM
Hi Jim,

I agree with most of what you said, buy them young and grow them out, exactly what I did but went one step further and imported them myself.

It is up to us all as individuals which way we go but believe me, someone that is after a quality pair $1,000 is not alot of money, 50 fry out of the first batch at $20 each (rediculous) and you have your money back.

I do not agree with your statement regarding making a killing, you haven't done your homework and it's a rediculous statement to make. It makes it sound like anyone that doesn't give them away at rediculous prices is a rip off merchant, you get what you pay for. Rubbish in rubbish out, it's simple!

Incidentally, we paid up to $200 each for some of our stock when they were 5cm nearly a year ago and since then have fed them 4 times a day, spent over a grand on medication, $1,300 a quarter in electricity, work it out for yourself!
MAC

Ben
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 05:19 AM
Everyone,

Please note that the discus pairs that Mac will have for sale at the end of the year are top quality fish!

$1000 for a pair of high quality is very resonable!

Mac, When your pairs are sorted at the end of the year can you please send me a PM on what you will have for sale.

Please keep me at the top of the list!

Cheers,

Ben

mistakes r crucial
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:34 AM
Will do Ben. We're expecting spare pairs of Web Leopard Snakes, Golden Leopards, Spotted Leopards and Gold Melons at this stage. Might also have a few individual fish but we'll have to see how it goes.

Thanks for the interest.

MAC

tank
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:04 AM
Hi Mac
I aslo want a list as iam in a position to buy quality fish please pm myseslf and make me second on the list
ps
I have been buying from rod lewis but his stock is low at the moment and he wont sell me his albinos fantastic fish he has

mistakes r crucial
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:33 AM
Hi Tank,

No problems, thanks for the interest. As far as Rod Lewis is concerned, his reputation speaks for itself.
MAC

jim from sydney
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:44 AM
MAC......as i am new to this game, i am learning quickly about the possibilities of this becoming an expensive hobby if one wants to get involved in breeding top stock....
you explained the scenario well for which i thank you and please accept my apologies for my (little) outburst...naughty..naughty. :oops: :oops:

now that you got me interested, place me on your list for when these breeding pairs are ready to be shipped and i would be pleased to have a nice pair.

does all of that sound acceptable to you??

regards and keep well....Jim

tank
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Jim
If you are lucky you may be third on the list lol

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 10:59 AM
Hi Jim, I know Mac, he is a lovely person, and I'm sure he will be more than happy to place you on the list.

I agree with Proteus, it comes down to what you expect from this hobby. Top quality stock will give you top quality fry, and subsequently top price when you come to sell them, but if I were new to the discus game, I wouldn't be spending $1000 on fish to learn on.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:50 AM
Hi Jim,

No problem mate and there is absolutely no need for any apology. In my experience this is a place where you can express your opinions without fear of a flame war, just discussion. It makes a nice change don't you think?
MAC

jim from sydney
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 12:03 PM
Mac....thanks for the reply Pal......i agree......."give and take".....if we can do that we will do just fine....
keep in touch
Jim.