PDA

View Full Version : Sick discus

oldschoolculture
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:58 AM
Hey guys,

all my discus have come down with something. So far two has died, one unfortunately jumped out of the tank when i wasnt looking. About a week ago the smaller discus started turning dark and their slime coat started peeling off. I treated with bacteria meds and 5 survived. Now the bigger discus have clamped fins and are only breathing from one fill. Some of the smaller ones have black around their faces. I have put them all in a hospital tank today and have treated with metro.

Will the metro destroy the bacteria in my canister filter?

Here are my parameters:

Ph - 6.8
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - .2
Temp - 30

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will really b upset if i loose all of them

Cheers

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 12:14 PM
So sorry to hear that osc. Are there any other symptoms. Have you recently added any new fish to the tank, not just discus, but any kind of fish.

What is the dose of metro that you are using, and how frequently are you dosing.

Add any other info that you think may be helpful.

BTW metro will not harm your bio filter.

oldschoolculture
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 12:44 PM
The smaller discus were in a community tank. I did add some plants from an lfs, and am putting it down to that. Also i added a couple of red horsefaces as well. Im assuming that my pair became sick due to poor sterilisation of equipment ie. net
Other symptoms include: Cloudy eye (on the ones that died)
Small marks on side and head (looked like they were burnt)
Flicking off objects.
I got the metro from an lfs and he advised me too crush 6 tablets and put in straight away. He said after five days repeat the dose.

Thanks

oldschoolculture
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 02:26 AM
Hi,

just an update. The female pigeon blood from my breeding pair has died. I have no idea what to do. This is the worst day of my life....

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:30 AM
OSC, I'm going to PM you my mobile number.

You are welcome to ring me up to 9.30 tonight, and we'll see if we can work out a solution for you.

oldschoolculture
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:50 PM
Hi Merrilyn,

sorry just got back from work. I appreciate your concern, and would have def called u. Have a nice trip though.

Cheers