PDA

View Full Version : Yay... totally stable pH with no additives

Proteus
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:04 AM
Over the years I have always observed my pH slowly drop between water changes, why? largely due to the lack of carbonate hardness (KH) in Sydneys water. (on top of the normal bio-nitrification process)

It has never been a problem as my maintenance schedule doesnt allow any major fluctuations in the waters parameters, but apart from buffers and increasing the water change quantities, I had pretty much just worked the routine around that.

That was until 2 weeks ago.

I have added 1/2 a kilogram of 15-20mm coral bone to the overflow chamber in my 550L (150g) and the KH is now stable on 4-5 degrees and the pH has not budged away from 6.85 - 6.95 pH.

Yes it is only early, but I have a pH computer hooked up to the tank (courtesy of my C02 system) and it hasnt moved since a day or 2 after I added the coral bone.

As time progresses I will keep things updated.

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:34 AM
And what have I been preaching for years ??????????

Shell grit in the tank to keep the pH stable. :banghead

Coral bone is the same stuff.

Glad to hear it's working for you Ro. :thumb

Proteus
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:42 AM
I have used oyster shells before, and pieces of dead coral, but not with the same effect or stability.

The coral chunks are also acting as a pre-filter for larger waste particles, so win-win.

oscar
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 08:46 PM
For those of us who don't have a 550L tank with an overflow chamber...can you put these products in an external canister filter or is the water flow rate too fast necessitating mixing in the substrate?

Proteus
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 09:29 PM
I have also placed 1 kg bag of coral bone in a mesh filter bag and placed it in the sump/mini-reef of my 680L (180g) and it appears to be having the same results in relation to stability.

I guess you could put a smaller amount in a canister (due to the incresed flow, and pressurised environment). I think to get levels right you would need to gradually add a few chunks every few weeks until your KH & pH get to the required level.

HTH

oscar
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the info.

OscarManAlpha
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 07:59 AM
I used it years ago just mixed crushed coral into the substrate big mistake !!! As I went overboard and couldn't remove it without losing the entire substrate.
My advise would be to put some crushed coral shell grit ect into a mesh bag or stocking and hide it somewhere in the tank that way you can add more or remove easily until you get the right balance. A handfull of the stuff can change the parameters in a 200 l tank big time.

Proteus
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:02 AM
Exactly... I have seen many tanks where a few pieces of coral, shells, etc have just been added to the substrate, or mixed in with the biological media... Big Mistake.

It should be isolated so firstly it can be adjusted (either added to, or reduced) and having it seperate allows for more control over your parameters.

Coral bone in the form I am using does not break down quickly, and once the levels are correct, you should have stability for months of not years to come.

Proteus
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:07 AM
...and I know how everyone likes photos

(not that it is that much to look at)

Merrilyn
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:39 AM
Interesting pic Proteus. What size are the pieces?

Proteus
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:40 AM
15-20mm

OscarManAlpha
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 02:17 PM
Proteus can you disclose where you got it from ? The coral bone that is.

Proteus
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:35 PM
I would have to shoot you if I told you... lol

I have quite a lot of it, so if you are local I could spare some (I could even post a kg or 2 if need be)

Proteus
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:41 PM
...actually... let me check some prices as I may be able to have it sent to anywhere, at cost price.

OscarManAlpha
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 12:31 AM

Davo
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 09:54 AM
Proteus,

I have a 4x2x2 tank and if you had any to spare I would gladly buy some from you. It would be great to get my KH to be stable. I also have a PH controller on my tank and have been thinking of adding some shell grit the way Ladyred does.

Thanks,
Dave.

Proteus
Thu Aug 18, 2005, 11:39 AM
Davo, send me a PM with your suburb amd I will see what I can organise.

goldfish
Sun Aug 28, 2005, 12:17 PM
anyone used those that sells from supermarket shell grit that bird eats?

spencer
Sun Sep 04, 2005, 10:05 AM
Hi All
Would cruched shells picked up from the beach do the same job?
cheers max

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 04, 2005, 01:29 PM
All shells contain calcium, and will do the same job.

dreamer
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 12:58 PM
do you have any medium and finer coral chips?
would like 3 different size (fine, medium and course) maybe around 5kg each.

can you help?

Proteus
Tue Sep 06, 2005, 11:48 PM
Fine is classed as Coral sand

Medium is less than 10mm average size

Large is what I have 10mm to 20mm average

I have never had a use for the 2 smaller sizes as it is inpractical to use in filters etc.

dreamer
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 01:14 AM
im going to use them as substrate for marine tank not in filter.

Proteus
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 01:54 AM
I will get some prices for you.

Normally in the stores Coral sand retails for anything between $5 & $8 a kg

mistakes r crucial
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 08:03 AM
Talking about water, here's something that has had me puzzled for ages. The water on the Sunshine Coast (or at least where I am) has a KH of 1-2 and a GH of 4-5 straight out of the tap and yet it is as stable as anything, never moves more than .5 or so unless we miss water changes and then I think it's because of the bio load not the KH. Question is, why? I've lived in another place where the KH was very low and the water was all over the place. Never worked it out.
MAC

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 08:38 AM
Mac, this link is to an excellent site discussing aquarium water.

You may find it helpful. :P

oscar
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 07:39 PM
Link?

mistakes r crucial
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks Merrilyn but the link was missing. By the way, would you mind changing your avatar? Its getting a little tiresome having to wipe the drool off the keyboard every time I read one of your posts lol.
MAC

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 03:41 AM
Oh gee, sorry guys, must have had other things on my mind :oops:

Try this:-

http://user.aol.com/andrerich/aquarium/Page6.html#guide2

:P

mistakes r crucial
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 05:53 AM
Must have been those new fish of yours Merrilyn, enough to take one's mind off any job.
MAC

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 08:48 AM
Another 6 Red Gold Diamonds arriving tonight Nigel.

I'll post pics, just so you can drool some more :wink:

P.S. I changed the avatar pic just for you Nigel. Is this one better :lol: