PDA

View Full Version : baby brine shrimp

skoom
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 02:55 PM
Is it imperative to feed the fry live baby brine shrimp?

I'm not too sure how to hatch them. Is it easy?

I've got a packet of frozen baby brine shrimp in the freezer. Any good?

Many thanks.

Ben
Tue Aug 09, 2005, 11:02 PM
The best way to go about it is to feed live baby brineshrimp for a couple of days after free swimming then feed frozen baby brine shrimp.

It works just feeding frozen baby brine shrimp but the live stuff is more nutritious for the growing fry.

Ben

skoom
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 06:09 AM
thanks ben.

is it easy to hatch own bbshrimp?

mistakes r crucial
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 06:29 AM
Very.
MAC

Ben
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 07:35 AM
As Mac said it is very easy to hatch brine shrimp, the problem that arrises is the cyst shells.

Here is a link on how to decapsulate the cysts.

http://article.dphnet.com/cat-01/artemiacyst.shtml

Or i wrote a small article on how to do it, using a torch the live brine shrimp are attracted to the light.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3757

HTH

Ben

DR.V
Wed Aug 10, 2005, 01:17 PM
Im sure Ben wrote a good article about hatching brine shrimp.

Try that, its very easy and cheap. Also works great.

Good luck

skoom
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 06:57 AM
I bought some decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.

i have a practical question: (first time hatcher)

how do i know they have hatched?

do i separate them into fresh or salt water, to be stored for the day's feeding?

how much do i feed?

many thanks.

Ben
Mon Aug 15, 2005, 11:59 AM
30 hours after the brine shrimp are started in the sea water, turn the air pump off.
leave it to settle for 5 minutes then closely look you will see some unhatced eggs but also tiny little brine shrimp moving in a jerky kind of motion.

the reason why i say wait 30 hours as most of them will hatch within 24 hours if the conditions are right, but this will allow for any late hatchings.

Buy your self a very fine micron baby brine shrimp net, you can rinse the baby brine shrimp under cold running water for around 10 seconds.
This will wash off any extra salt water.

Feeding depends on how many baby mouths to feed, but first feeding draw some newly hatched brine shrimp up in a syring with fresh water then gently squirt over the flanks on the parent with most of the fry. Just a very small amount for the first few feedinsg until the baby discus get the taste for yummy brine shrimp!

HTH

Ben

skoom
Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:14 AM
thanks ben.

i've been doing as you have advised and things are looking good.

just don't know how much is enough.

they seem to be eating them well as i can see the orange in their bellies...

the parent is not moving and neither are the fries. do i need to care about the escaped bbs at the other end of the tank? will they pollute?

thanks again for your tips.

Ben
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Skoom,

how are the fishies going mate???

Ben

sinhink
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 07:15 AM
Hi Ben,

Where to get/buy fine micron baby brine shrimp net from?
Thanks.

skoom
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 08:26 AM
Hi ben

I just read your fishies were brilliant blue and a red rose. Funnily my female red rose crossed with an ocean green. Maybe our fishies will look similar. I'll try to take some pictures and compare and contrast.

Fishies are doing ok at the moment. I;ve lost about 3 out of a spawn of 40. They are 2 and a half weeeks old.

I've had to battle with some nitrite rises, thought they were goners.... did three wc a day, and i decided to add a hang on filter with some substrate from my main tank. Hope this will keep the ammonia and nitrite down.

Will keep up to date!

Littlefish
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 08:30 AM
I just used old stockings (well, tights nowadays, I guess) to sieve out the BBS. Just don't get caught pinching them off the line. :P

Fred

Ben
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 01:27 PM
Skoom,
hope your babies go well for you, it will be interesting for both of us, what they look like when adults.

BBS nets can be bought through these guys:

http://www.aquamail.com.au/

but maybe gives these guys a go,
they might be able to get them in.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/

Ben