PDA

View Full Version : Water Changes

fishingjedi
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 09:55 AM
Greetings all,
So Ive just started seriously devoting my time (& money :lol: ) to Discus, & the quality of Sydney water has got me really worried about putting it straight from the tap into my tank ( like I did in Canada). So I was wondering if some of you more experienced people could give me detailed procedures you use when changing water.
Any info would be Greatly appreciated. (I just bought a pair of beautifull red turqs & would hate to lose them due to poor water quality)

Thanks.

Benny
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 10:28 AM
Depending of the size of your tank, our members tend to age our tapwater for 24-48 hours (heat and airate the water) and then double dose the water ageing solution before use with fish, however i know other people who keep the most gorgeous fish and dont WC with aged water at all (due to circumstances, and water volume lol)..

HTH, Regards
Benny

fishingjedi
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 10:42 AM
thanks Benny, its 220L, heavily planted.

Mattzilla
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 10:51 AM
i would reccomend aging water in a barrel for at least 24 hrs, treat it with a good quality dechlor like Prime or Water Ager ACN, heat to the same temp as the tank and airate heavily.

this will provide you and most importantly your discus with good quality prepared water.

you can buy large barrels (about 200ltrs) from bunnings that do the job very well

it is important to chemically treat the water you use before it goes into the tank to provide a stable environment for your fish

hth
matt

goldfish
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 11:48 AM
i age my water for 1 week in a 150 lt drum...my tank is 500 litres!!!!,,,,
so every week i change about 30% of the water,,,i dont add any ageing solutions,i heat the water up from saturday and i change the water on sunday morning!!!
i have no problem at all, the discus and all the fish looks perferctly fine!!
i guess it doesnt hurt to add ageing agents!!

Mattzilla
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:41 AM
also here is a link to an ebay item that may help

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4377324023&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

fishingjedi
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:37 AM
thanks guys, I'll head down to Bunnings on my next day off.

DR.V
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:25 AM
Ebay always got everything you need.

I would also suggest that you age your water first prior adding them into your tank.

But I used to add water straight from the tap, and I also live in Sydney, with no problem at all. But I do keep it regular ( ie : every 2-3 days ) . Just for your info.

But do age the water first to be safe. Im also aging my water first now using 2X200 L drum. Coz I got breeding tanks as well as 4ft display.

Good luck.