PDA

View Full Version : wtb:pleco's

mcloughlin2
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 07:28 AM
Im lookin for some pleco's breeding size..would prefer them to be one of the common varieties as i cant afford the rare ones..anyone wiliin to sell some cheap???

-Mcloughlin2

novafishy
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 07:41 AM
What do u mean by plecos? common plecos and gibbiceps are bred in large ponds in nothern australia.

do you mean the common bristlenose? they are abundant and you wont find a problem sourcing bristlenose. But as for breeding size plecos - good luck!

mcloughlin2
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 07:48 AM
No im chasing some breeding size pleco's...not bristlenose...im having a blond moment but are pleco's and gibbiceps different species or wat??

Repz
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 09:56 AM
common pleco and the gibbiceps are diff species
but still plecos lol
gibbiceps are actually quite nice you should search em up
beautiful plecos and not that expensive

kevkoi
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 10:10 AM
Breeding size gibbicep plecos (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps)
? :shock: Now those would abe about the 18inch mark.... and I hope you have a heated pond or something to even attempt to breed these. :?

Here's a link to what they are. Take note in particular the "Breeding" section.
http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/g_gibbiceps.htm

"Pleco" is a very broad group of sucker mouth catfish. A bristlenose (Ancistrus sp.) is also a pleco. So is the gibbiceps talked about above, and so are zebra plecos (Hypancistrus zebra).

What exactly are you after?

mcloughlin2
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 06:02 AM
Duno wat type im after...the fish shop down the road has some common plecos bout 15cm i think for $68 and they have a sailfin pleco for $120 but that is about 35cm...does anyone else have any...and i have a big tub bout 5ft by 3ft by 3ft that i was thinking i could breed them in in summer...would this be possible??

-Mcloughlin2

kevkoi
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 07:38 AM
Highly unlikely to be successful in breeding these large plecos in anything but a huge dam with mud banks. Breeding large plecos is a multi-million dollar industry up in northern Queensland.

Stick with the little fellas.... The various bristlenose species should give u a go at breeding some pleco type fish.

mcloughlin2
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 09:21 AM
I have a habit of choosing near impossible fish to breed....where there is a will there is a way...i have bin told by my someone that the tub could work and im sure he has breed plecos b4...i figure it would be a fun idea breeding massive and expensive fish in tubs..if anyone has any out there they are willing to sell let me know

-Mcloughlin2

novafishy
Wed Aug 03, 2005, 02:41 PM
Good luck on your findings....but i suggest you stick to one species in your big 5x3x3 tub.

i'd try for the more common gibbiceps, as they are more beautiful than the common pleco. the finnage is nicer, body more robust, and best of all, they have a very beautiful spotted pattern.

if you can, choose the gibbis with great colour and finnage...and that will hopefully supply you with good strains when breeding.

all the best in your findings...i'm sure there are few big breeding sized plecos out there...

goldfish
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 12:42 AM
does anyone know if someone has actually successfully breed pleco's down here in sydney?,,whether in pond/damn/tanks whatever!!

mcloughlin2
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 08:22 AM
Lol goldfish good question....dont no bout down here in N.S.W but in QLd they breed them...

-Mcloughlin2

novafishy
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 05:02 PM
it be a great achievement if you can breed them. I have a friend who's thinking of selling his 25cm gibbicep if ur intesrsted.

gotti
Thu Aug 04, 2005, 09:20 PM
Zebra plecos can be tank bred if you are 100% sure you have a male/female pair.
Common plecos can be bred but you wuld need a "largish" pond, its not practical though because of heating

HTH

goldfish
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 07:11 AM
if u have money,,,its not a problem!!,,,most things in life is about money!!haha,,,,,no money, no talk!!

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 08:42 AM
surley it can't be that big a deal to heat a pond indoor's?

if you have a heated fish room you siple need a insulated fiberglass (is that big enough) pond in the middle of the room

4 x 300watt heater should do a large pond no worries

or even a larger titanium inline heater

NEVER say NEVER, thats boring :wink:

hell , i think it sounds like a challenge!!!!!

mcloughlin2
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:14 AM
I was thinkin of just puttin the tub in a sheltered spot in the summer wen it getz up to 40degrees....if the temperature is not high enough or if it isnt consistent then i would put some heaters in there....simple...the water should be heated up to round 24dgrees right????

-Mcloughlin2

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:28 AM
might need it a bit bigger than a tub thats all :wink:

kevkoi
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:14 PM
I have a concrete pond here in Malaysia at my parent's place. It's 28-35degrees C all year round, pond is 4ft deep and holds about 45000L of water (running thru a massive biological filter and uv sterilisers). In there are 4x gibbiceps which are nearly 24inch long monsters (3females, 1 male) and at least 5years old. There arre some earthen pipes in there as well, but have never seen any fry show up. They're not as easy as u think. They need natural mudponds with mud banks to burrow into.

I'll be handing over my monster gibbies to a fish farm down South Malaysia for breeding in the next couple of days. I'll get a photo of how big these things can get and post them up.

kev

Merrilyn
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:42 PM
Looking forward to those photos Kev :D

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:37 PM
it sounds more and more like a challenge

(and a divorce :wink: )

mcloughlin2
Sat Aug 06, 2005, 09:46 AM
Cant wait for those pics kev :D ...duno if i will attempt to breed them anymore as a person that responded sayin he had a pleco for sale has sold it on me :cry: so now all i hav available for me to buy r the ones down the at LFS..they hav one now(possible two) that r bout 12-15cm an one that is bout 18-20cm maybe bigger...so i duno :ug ....

mcloughlin2
Sat Aug 06, 2005, 11:48 PM
Hi kev how do you tell male from female...???

oscar
Thu Aug 11, 2005, 10:12 PM
If we're talking about pretty cats...anyone know about Rineloricaria morrowi?

Nice looking fish. Wondering about availability & $ downunder.

ozarowana
Fri Aug 12, 2005, 04:38 AM
Gibbys have been bred in Brisbane and in small ponds/cattle troughs. I think he had like 300-400 for sale at $20 a pop.