PDA

View Full Version : Peppering Query?

LiLDiscus
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 08:01 AM
Hi fellow discus enthusiasts,
Im new to this and I am just wondering why do discus have peppering on their skin.
Is it due to hygiene reasons or fungus?
Also is there any chance in restoring a discus's skin to normal if it has peppering.
Your input would greatly be appreciated :)

Cheers,

Winny

chris
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 08:21 AM
Hi Winny and welcome to Discus Forum,
I think that peppering your refering to happens mostly with the Pigeon Blood strains, Its genetic but, discus grow from small plain fish into spectacular bigger fish, so yes I presume peppering can look better in time HTH :wink:

goldenpigeon
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 08:44 AM
hi and welcome to the forum :)

first im sure you know that discus have scales not skin.... im sure you ment to say scales instead of skin ;)

peppering does not occur from disease or anything like that. its just part of some strains natural colour and that is the way the strain will basically stay unless another discus with no or little peppering is crossed in to limit the peppering in future generations.

HTH

LiLDiscus
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 09:22 AM
Thx guys for your input it is greatly appreciated and yes
I meant to say scales not skin
:oops: lol

Cheers,
Winny

DR.V
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 09:26 AM
Sometimes it can caused by wrong water parameter or disturbing tankmates.

jim from sydney
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 10:35 AM
Hi Winny.....welcome to our forum.......i also have some pigeon bloods with peppering on there scales.....i think it looks great dont you think????Jim

LiLDiscus
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 11:49 AM
Wow Everyones all welcoming thx :D
Hi Jim,
I dun mind peppering, it's what in the inside that counts.
I just thought it was a medical problem and that it could be fatal in the long term.
BTW: I absolutley love Pigeon Bloods :P

Winny

jim from sydney
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 12:02 PM
Hi Winny......no worries.......i love them too..Jim

wyldchyld01
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 05:45 AM
my understanding is that peppering is kind of a genetic throwback from our crossing and re-crossing bloodlines etc.

it's for this reason i'm not too keen on it myself, that and the young i have seen generally end up with more peppering, unless like it was mentioned earlier one without or considerably less peppering, is bred with them.

i really like pb's and dragons and the like but am just waiting for the cleanskins, some like i've seen posted from kev

if you like the fish that's all that counts imo

Brenton

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 10:03 AM
Hi Winny, welcome to the forum. Peppering is something we see on a lot of red discus strains. Nearly all of the red varieties have been bred down from the original pigeon blood. So we owe them a lot for giving us a lot of the gorgeous red varieties we see today, including marlboro red, red melons and san merah.

Without the pigeon blood, none of these strains would have been possible.

Over the years, the breeders have tried to remove as much of the peppering as possible, till today we get some with very light peppering, and some with heavier peppering.

Personally, I have both varieties, and find both attractive. Knowing how much the pigeon bloods contributed to the breeding of these gorgeous new colours, may make it a bit more acceptable.

LiLDiscus
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 10:08 AM
wow thx for the info wyldchyld01 and ladyred.
Greatly appreciated :D