PDA

View Full Version : Water change frequency

Sime76
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 05:05 AM
Ok people I'm thinking about having a go at discus. I've got a 4x2x2 and am thinking about puting 4-6 in there with some other inmates like apistos, tetras and an algea crew. I'll be using a thin layer of pool filter sand and partaily planted prolly just background plants and swords and stuff.
What I want to know is, I expect to only be able to do weekly water changes at the most, maybe up to every 10 to 14 days. Is this ok/enough
it'll be straight from the tap (declor'd ), I'm in Melb so I'm getting Ph 7 or a tad lower and GH/KH is close to 0 i think.

Sime

Davo
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 07:34 AM
It will be fine. Make sure your filters are cleaned monthly and don't overfeed. When buying your discus I would opt for full size discus due to only doing a fortnightly WC. If you get smaller discus they will take longer to reach full size.

Dave.

Dee
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 08:16 AM
G'day Sime76,

I'm in Melbourne too and have pretty much the same water as you ... PH 7 and a kH of pretty much 0. My opinion would be to get 6 discus minimum (reduce bullying and they prefer to school in numbers). As far as WC's ... due to the VERY LOW kH I would highly recommend raising your kH to 2-3 degrees either using shellgrit or kH powder to buffer your PH to around 6.7 - 7.0. With the WC schedule you can manage (once weekly) you will IMO have trouble with flucuating PH (downwards) without raising the kH to buffer your PH.

Discus when young need lots of protien rich food, which equal high waste and bioload .... couple that with a very low kH and once weekly WC's ... this IMO will adversly effect your PH downwards risking PH crashes :? HTH

Cheers,

Dee :)

DR.V
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 08:19 AM
It should be alright. As Davo says , when buying your discus , choose full size discus.