PDA

View Full Version : Big Bully

Inny
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:13 AM
HEy every one.. got a problem with a big bully.. got three discus and one is bullying the other 2... thenot allowed any where but near the flitter... if they go any here else.. is this normal????
cheers Dave

DR.V
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:40 AM
Normally the smaller one in the tank will get bullied by the bigger one ?!?!?!

sammigold
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:41 AM
Inny, in alot of posts other people have said it is better to have more than 3 discus as normally 2 might pair up and one get bullied. it seems you have the opposite problem. It may be worth looking into balancing the numbers a little if you have the tank space. Some other people may have ideas on what you can do with bullys. I havent had discus for very long at all so cant really suggest anything. Maybe read some of the other posts. I have seen bullying mentioned a bit and have read some ideas of others.

Good luck!

Merrilyn
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 03:58 PM
Hi Inny, and welcome to the forum.

Our discus are cichlids, and as such, we must remember that there always be some aggression between them. Usually it's not serious, and the fish come to no harm, but just sometimes, it can be a bit more then the usual pushing and shoving.

Some folk have solved the problem by adding another, larger discus to the tank, or removing all the fish and re arranging the plants and driftwood in the tank, to make it appear different, then returning the fish to the tank, but leaving the bully to the very last, so that the others have had a little time to settle in.

In extreme cases, I have seen a tank divider used to screen the bully off from the rest of the tank.

Good luck.

StonX
Fri Jul 29, 2005, 12:50 PM
This bullying drama is happening in my tank too. Got 2 discus and couple more fish(BN, SAE, Congos) in a 3ft tank.
Bought the discuss at the same size, now one of them is twice bigger the other due to he/she keep harrasing the other and eat like a PIG and eat everything I throw in.

Went down to Mac earlier today, he told me never only have 2 in the tank. Maybe he said that wanting me to buy more :roll:

anyway Mac got couple that caught my eyes, so end up going home with 3 more. NOw have 5 in the tank, hopefully it will ease the bullying.

The bullied one, seems have no appetite. Swallow and spitt it out AFAIK. Feeding with Tetra Colorbits, frozen worm.
Sorry for the long post, I hope all the discus guru out there can give some enlightments....

Thanks in advance

oscar
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 10:13 PM
Stonx,

Did the extra fish work to alleviate your problems?

I also have tank that now has 2 discus in it (due to some fatalities whilst on holidays...never go on holidays if you own discus) now hi-body red-turq is flogging my marlboro red.

I'm anxiously awaiting release of fish from SLS so i can pad the tank out. Hoping my "hard earned" cash will solve the problem and not just create more fodder for the red-turq.

My Lake Malawi Cichlid tank doesn't have as much agression problems as my discus tank :(

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 08, 2005, 04:40 AM
Oscar, with two fish in the tank, unless they are a mated pair, there will always be a struggle for dominance.

Our discus are cichlids after all, and are inclined to be scrappy. Adding another two fish to the tank will help to spread the aggression, so that one single fish doesn't always become the subject of the bullying.

oscar
Mon Aug 08, 2005, 05:17 AM
Aha, the two-pronged attack Ladyred.

Got four on the way from SLS...as soon as they are released from QT. Should help.

Looking forward to it. The wife...not so much.

I'm an experience Cichlid keeper and understand how they work. The principal is sound but thought i'd ask the question as i have learned that sometimes there are just naughty fish.

StonX
Fri Aug 12, 2005, 08:38 AM
Oscar,

The bullied one is eating a bit more now, prolly the extra discus is keeping the BIG BULLY busy for a while.

The bullied one is so tiny compared to the big one, though i bought them together at the same size. Fins bit damaged too.

Is there any stuff I can use to increase the regrowth of the fins? some type of foods perhaps?

Thanks