PDA

View Full Version : My Discus And Pets

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:01 AM
hi every1 i have alot of pictures of my fish and some of my pets (didnt get the kitten or the horse, their pics r commin soon)

enjoy :D

ill start off with my fry tank

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:20 AM
now for my breeding tank

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:26 AM
now for the community tank

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:35 AM
now for my gibbiceps

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:51 AM
here is 1 of the white butterflies

also 2 of the discus ryan sold me. ryan they have settled in great :D

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 10:05 AM
here is my poodle harly, cat genevieve (spelling) and my eastern blue tonge lizard called micky

Ben
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 01:20 PM
Well done junior!
thanks heaps for the pics!
you have done an awesome job!

keep up the good work!
Ben

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:21 PM
Nice work champ

bout time for the pics too!

i will PM ya to vist some time cool?

goldenpigeon
Fri Jul 22, 2005, 09:47 PM
yep sure ryan. and thanx ben. lol i put hardly any pics in there. i have alot more discus than that, but i wasa kinda rushed so thats what i got. tonite im gonna try and get some new better 1's.

marg
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 06:11 AM
Beautiful Pictures Junior, you have some really nice fish. Where do you keep them all?.

Love your dog - I have a black poodle called Pancho.

goldenpigeon
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 11:45 AM
he margot i keep aot of them in a 6x2x2. im setting up a fish room soon. i have more pics to post soon

marg
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 03:42 PM
Junior what size is the mesh that you have around your spawn? I have a few egg eaters at my place and that mesh looks like a good idea.

goldenpigeon
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 10:51 PM
hi margot it is about 15mil x 15mil. but i need to buy a new rooll of it cause they get in the top and eat the eggs. so better off making it like that but going to the waters surface

marg
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 05:16 AM
Okay I'll get some and give it a go. I'm ready to try anything.

My problem is that I have a Red Marlboro Male and a Pigeon Blood Female (their photo's are in Photo Album under my Discus Community) who have paired up, and they would spawn in the Community tank repeatedly. I had only had Discus about 18 months and thought " Wow, I'm going to be a Mum !! :wave2 :wave2 " . As you would well know, they would spawn and then two days later eat the eggs. I stared to get real depsondent when what do you know they let a couple of spawns get to wrigglers before they clean them up. I got sad all over again, but next spawn they let them get to wrigglers then when the fry lefy the spawn they would catch them & spit them back - so far so good - the drat, they cleaned them up again. (I stared thinking whats the point - it ain't gonna happen).

They spawned again and this time after repeatedly spitting them back into the nest they moved them into a corner, and every time that they moved they put them back. I watched them chase the fry, catch them then put them back in the corner. I eventually lost them but I put it down to the fact that they were in the Community tank and it was too big - they simply lost them.

I went and bought a 2 foot tank and moved them into it and they went on strike for a while, then when they started spawning again they started up the egg eating routine. They don't seem really happy in the 2 foot tank so I have moved them into a 3 foot tank in my bedroom and will drop the water level if they spawn and get to free swimming stage, but first I've got to get past the egg eating stage, so your idea seems to be the key.

I will go and get some mesh and make up a "cage" in readiness, and hopefully after all this *** I might get some babies.

goldenpigeon
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 08:04 AM
kool. yeah they r a pain but it takes time. this pair have had fry (in the pictures) and they STILL CANT GET IT RIGHT! good luck to you

marg
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 02:25 PM
As I said. I'm off to the hardware store tomorrow to make a mesh cover in readiness.

Did you have any problems with them eating the fry once they hatched, or did Mum and Dad accept them easily?.

I was a bit worried that seeing as how they keep eating the eggs, once they were prevented from getting near the eggs they may wait until they hatched out and became free swimming and turn them into dinner. Did you have any problems like that?.

Perhaps that won't happen because as Stated above, they had had some free swimmers in the Community Tank and they appeared to be really trying to look after them - I am sure that the only reason they lost them was because of the size of the tank :banghead .

marg
Tue Jul 26, 2005, 11:12 AM
Went and got the mesh yesterday Junior and just in time - the buggers started spawning about 11.30pm. last night.

I had only just finished using my glue gun and putting the mesh cover together about 2 hours before - I made one that surrounded the flower pot and I glued a mesh lid on it.

I waited until about 1.30am. this morning and them put the cover over the pot. At first they wouldn't go near the pot, but their parenting bits must've started to get the better of them because now they are lovingly fanning the nest, so I'll see what happens next, and will let you know.

marg
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 12:56 PM
Well back to the drawing board.

They kept fanning the mash etc., but the eggs all turned white so I took the pot out and cleaned it off. Maybe I should have left them tending to it a bit longer berfore I put the mesh around it, I don't know.

I Feel real deflated and seriously feel like putting them back in the Community tank (at least I knew that I could get wrigglers in there).

Got any suggestions?

the_oracle
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 04:15 PM
Cool pictures there, Junior........... 8-) 8-)
Nice set-up and lotsa discus.
I like your cat .................... :lol:

Sanie.

sammigold
Tue Aug 02, 2005, 11:40 AM
GP, Love your fishies. that pair are gorgeous. 8-) Also love the blue diamond. I used to have a toy silver poodle. she lived till she was 18 and passed last year. It was very sad. They are such intelligent dogs. Kara used to bark at the oven when she wanted food. she knew that was where the meat was cooked! Great specimen of a blue tongue. He's great! and of course Genevieve is gorgeous too. :D You should be proud of your beautiful pet family!!