PDA

View Full Version : 200ltr Drum Whats the best product to use in it

axl
Tue Jul 19, 2005, 10:49 PM
Hi,
i have just purchased a 200ltr drum for my discus tank and it had previously liquid Ammonium Sulphate in it and want to no what is the best product to use to wash it out with so it wont harm the discus when i get them. Somthing thats going to sterilise the drum soi it gets all the toxins out of it.
cheers axl

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 20, 2005, 05:21 AM
Hi Axl. I don't know a lot about ammonium sulphate, but a google search revealed the following:-

12.4 Ecotoxicity

Harmful to aquatic organisms. Increases in pH above 7.5 will lead to an increased load of non-ionised ammonia which is markedly more toxic to aquatic life.

I really don't think I'd be inclined to use the drum to age water for your precious discus. Try to get a food grade drum. The plastic will be much safer.

axl
Wed Jul 20, 2005, 08:57 AM
Hey,
thanks for ya reply, where would you suggest that i start looking for a grade food 200ltr drum????

discusguy
Wed Jul 20, 2005, 11:21 AM
axl, try a coke bottling plant, i have gotton 55 gal drums from them before, sometimes they just throw them away.

skoom
Wed Jul 20, 2005, 12:55 PM
can i ask what do you look up in the yellow pages to get a food grade drum? if anyone else has bought one in sydney can someone suggest a handy place? I've been to bunnings and they are quite steep...i don't think i can afford those...