PDA

View Full Version : Freedom of Speech - not so apparently

marg
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:59 AM
I have just been reading Proteus' new Article "C02 Planted Tank Project" and the comments made by ADF Members regarding this project. Good idea for a project I might add.

I noticed comments made by Davo(June 13th 2005), where he recommended items for reading, and as I usually do, I opened those items, in particular "www.plantedtank.com". If you scroll down to "Free Speech and the Internet: A Fish Story" it will blow your mind. Makes you think.

glstine
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 04:33 AM
And people wonder why we need to overhaul our judicial system. Guess I know where I won't be buying anything (if there even in business still). Can't say the name, don't want to get served.

marg
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 04:45 AM
It is scary, isn't it?.

ADF is a great site - the Advisory Members (Proteus, Lady Red) are pretty vigilant with regards to slanderous comments etc., but when I read that article I could see where the fellow was unhappy and was venting his frustration, never thinking for one minute that it would "smack him in the face" so to speak.

Makes it hard if you have a bad experience, doesn't it - and I think that at some stage in our lives we have all had that - I certainly know I have :banghead :banghead :blob :blob2 :blob :blob2 :argue :argue , just have to be careful how one expresses ones frustrations :ug :ug - I certainly won't be putting it in writing.

duck
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 07:50 AM
Where?

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 09:10 AM
One of those things we all have to be aware of. You'll notice at times we have to edit posts that reveal the name of a shop or store where people have had a bad experience.

Seems you can say anything complimentary about a store, but nothing derogatory :ug

kalebjarrod
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:10 AM
in fact i try to say neither

someone has always had a bad experience with someone else

you say ohhhhhhhh they say ahhhhhhh type deal

Fishpimpin73
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 06:15 PM
There are several class action lawsuits in court over the same type of issue.

That is why it is sooo important for us ( Admin team and Advisory staff ) to keep our eyes open for potential legal issues.

Remember your mother telling you as a child......

"IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING NICE TO SAY, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!"

Truer words have never been spoken :wink:

Davo
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 07:43 AM
Only in America!

Proteus
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 09:50 AM
Actually Davo, it has nothing to do with being in America, Aussies have been stung by the law suit mentioned, and our laws are just as strict, if not the same but tougher than those in the U.S., you just have to look at our privacy laws to see how tough things can get.

kalebjarrod
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 10:18 PM
the land with the most litigantion per capita

New South Wales

(P.S us qlders are locking the gate at 5:00pm so be quick)

Davo
Sun Jul 24, 2005, 07:45 AM
Very true Proteus but unfortunatly the whole litigation system originated in the US and we have just been swept along with the tide.

Dave.