PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to discus. Info needed?

youngy_11
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 05:15 AM
hi,

Im from ACE(cichlid forum).
I have been keeping cichlids for about 1.5 years now and i have just upraded my display tank for my ciclids from a standard 3ft(150L) to a 4x2x2 tank.
The 3fter is spare now and i would like to get some discus and try and get a breeding pair happining after a year or so.

I have read that it is best to buy about 4 small discus and let them grow up and pair off
Would 4 full size discus be alright in a 3fter or will i need to just keep one full size breeding pair???

I think i have enough filtration. I have a 1200l/h aqua one canister.

I know it is your own choice really but for an average budget what type of discus do you think are the best to get??

Also what prices would i expect to pay for 4 smaller ones???

I love the blue ones. I think they are either Blue Diamonds or Blue turquose.

Would it be better to get one type of discus or is it alright to get 2 different types??

Sorry about the long post just reserching heaps before i jump in and buy some.
A guy at my LFS has bread them before so ill have a good talk to him aswell.

thanks youngy

chris
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 12:10 PM
Hi Youngy welcome to discus forum.
Discus require 40l per fish to help grant maximum growth.
Your three footer might be a little small for the amount of discus you wont to keep.
Although it might make a good grow out tank for you.
Discus also tend to do better in numbers of five or more.
Turqs are a good choice, as for price maybe someone living in your state can help with that one.
HTH
Good luck with your fish keeping. :wink:

marg
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 03:47 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Discus, Youngy.

Do you get to Sydney very often? - the reason that I ask is because one of our Sponsors, SLS (Slippery Little Suckers) would be able to set you on the right track. From what I have read on this site they are pretty reasonable with their prices, and very helpful advice wise also. Soon as I can save some dollars I intend to pay them a visit.

youngy_11
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 02:49 AM
yes i am in sydney every so oftern. My LFS recon the best way is to buy 6 then when they pair off sell four of them. And keep one pair in the 3fter.

What you guys recon.

Do you think i need any extra gear for my tank and does a normall light do the job?

What about getting 4 of the blue ones and 2 red ones. Will they breed or is it better getting 6 of the same type of discuss??

thanks youngy

sammigold
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 03:53 AM
that depends on what you want to breed. If you want to breed a particular strain then you should get all the same colour discus. If you want to experiment then put a mix in and see who pairs up.

youngy_11
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 04:16 AM
ok i think i will stick with the same strain. thanks