PDA

View Full Version : help me get started

aqua-pombiki
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 09:24 PM
i am planing on getting a new tank and will have an open 29gal. and would like to keep dicus fish. the problem is ive never had discus before and dont know how many i can get what type of filter to use how to set the tank up to keep them happy ect... can you give a newbee to discus some advice thank you for any help you can give me
ive inclosed the best pic i can find on my comp of the tank as it is now
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/pombiki/Picture345.jpg

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 06:19 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. A 29 gallon will allow you to house 3 adult discus or about 6 juveniles with regular waterchanges.

Tha tank you are planning on using, (the one in the pic) will be fine with a few alterations.

Discus like very clean water, so we suggest starting out with a bare bottom tank, with perhaps a few plants in pots and driftwood. That makes your clean up job so much easier.

Discus prefer soft acid water, but a stable pH is more important that the 'ideal' pH. If your water from the tap is extremely hard, you may need to invest in an RO unit, but try not to alter the pH unless you plan on breeding.

You need good filtration, but not necessarily strong filtration. Discus prefer calm water, so try to use spray bars to deflect the current.

Warmth, and good food are the last two things that are very important for discus. You will need a reliable heater that will hold the water at around 86 degrees.

A varied diet is also necessary. Start with a good quality flake or granule food, and include meals of beef heart, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp or mysis shrimp.

Hope that helps you to start. Keep asking questions, we're always here to help.

DR.V
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 07:32 AM
Is that a pleco catfish in the tank ??

Large catfish in the tank often disturb discus. As a result "mood bar" on discus will shown. I would suggest that you remove the big catfish in the tank if that happen, and put smaller catfish like bristlenose or whiptail.

Also, if you could fill in your location it would be easier for other member to suggest what kind/type of brand will best for you. It will also give an idea of your water parameter.

Good luck

aqua-pombiki
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 05:54 PM
most of the decor that is currently in the tank will be going into the new one and the pleco will be transfered too so i will be starting fresh with the tank. i have a whisper powerfilter 40 in the tank now and have 2 extra power filter 30s. the heater is 100w but i doesnt keep the temp that stable so im going to put in the new tank when i get it and get a new one. i dont really know what kind of discus i would want to get so im up for suggestions there. will playsand work for the bottem of the tank or should i just go the bare route for awile.

DR.V
Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:19 PM
I suggest Blue Diamond for start :D